Ok Just Got This

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

100% sure there is NO Jag o any other Guapote species in him Lol.

If it where a texas cross I would expect to see the speckles that you would see on the texas, which it doesnt have.

Joel

So far I've had people say he may be a
-con/sajica (t-bar cichlid) cross
-Texas/Con cross
-Firemouth/Con cross
-Jack Dempsey/Firemouth/Con
-Young, stressed female firemouth
-Jack Dempsey/Con cross
-There are others but these came up the most

I personally don't think hes a full firemouth considering at the lfs they have a tank of Juvi firemouths his size and they look nothing alike color wise. Also the man who gave him to the LFS to sell said they were Jack Demseys, so they must have JD in them somewhere. *sigh* I don't know... lol

I think the convict part is definite.. it's just the face that is a little weird, and the sparkling on the fins..

It could be so many other different things you'll never know for sure.

Ok here are some more pics of him, he's less stressed and clamped today, and more colored up. So these pics are a bit better, and clear then the last :D And I noticed a bit of orange in the belly, which u see in female convicts and jb parrots, so my duke just may be a dutchess, lol.

Fishes005.jpg

Fishes006.jpg

Fishes012.jpg

so you guys know there is a cousin to the firemouth known only as the " yellow firemouth " theyre subdued in colour and look very similar to a firemouth yet different. could be worth looking into.

edit- could be salvini ( the red eye ) and they are VERY dempsey like
infact id bet you actualy money that it is infact a convict+salvini hybrid.

so you guys know there is a cousin to the firemouth known only as the " yellow firemouth " theyre subdued in colour and look very similar to a firemouth yet different. could be worth looking into.

i havn't heard about that. i will look into it for sure. maybe even get some :hey: .

edit- could be salvini ( the red eye ) and they are VERY dempsey like
infact id bet you actualy money that it is infact a convict+salvini hybrid.

i never thought of that but now that i look JD and salvini are very close in appearance.

it would make sense because the guy would have to be local in order to give the lfs fish. the petshop did seel salvini a while back (like a few months ago) so maybe the guy bought it and thought it was a JD (like "ooo i get a JD and it's labeled as salvini" kind of thing.) so maybe it bred to his convict in his tank and maybe he has another JD in the tank. saw the female guarding the nest and assumed that the dad was his JD. so it owuld mean that the salvini girl crossed with a convict boy.

but noone can know for sure as we don't even have a clue what is in that guys tank and neither does the lfs. so it will remain a mystery. i am though going to try breeding it down the road to see if i can pull out more of the traits and narrow down our scope. also i am going to like update pics of it like every month or so so people can see how the colors progress. at leastthat's my plan. this may help to ID it a little better and see how quickly it grows.

sounds like a good idea, my brother is at the moment doing a project with salvinis and is waiting for a pair to deleope of his 4.
he got a big dominant male very coloureful and also looks very much like a JD.
a convict and a Salvini isnt unheard of and they botha re the same max size and more or less the same temprements especially wen breeding!
my sugestion, try breeding him with a salvini or a convict, if the fry come out looking jsut like one of the two fish then you know the genes are deffo in there because they will recess.
regards tuurlijk

Another possibility is Archocentrus spilurus or the blue eye cichlid. I have kept these before and the specimens I had looked very similar to your fish. A quick search on google doesn't bring up much for them and alot of the pics aren't a very good representation of a typical specimen IME (I have seen quite a few over the years from various sources and have even had a pair spawn. The fry were later grown out and sold).

NO WRONG.

i have kept and bred the blue eye cichlid. i have also hybrid it with the fish i posted a pic of earlier.
that is definetely not a blue eye cichlid. it lacks the BLUE EYE... and the high bodyed shape. let alone the small mouth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back