Ok Just Got This

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

well i had a JD and it was starting to get it's blue/green dots and it was like 2" max. this one is like 3" and hasn't even started so idk. i will keep checking it out and keep posted as hings/ color progresses.

NO WRONG.

i have kept and bred the blue eye cichlid. i have also hybrid it with the fish i posted a pic of earlier.
that is definetely not a blue eye cichlid. it lacks the BLUE EYE... and the high bodyed shape. let alone the small mouth.

I too have kept and bred them as well as been around plenty of others owned by other people and IME the blue colouration and high bodiedness doesn't come out fully until the fish is older. In the case of the colouration (including the eyes) this is often very lacklustre unless the fish are in the process of courting, often to the point of the fish being almost silver with very faint bands - especially when stressed due to a move, etc as this one has been. As for the mouth, well, I wouldn't exactly call the fish pictured a big mouth bass, it is within a reasonable size compared to a blue eyed cichlid. In alot of blue eyed cichlids I have had, the dorsal fin often exhibits a line of colouration similar to the one seen in this fish also. The fish in question looks to be a juvenile to me, hence the possibility of it being part blue eyed cichlid.

Regardless, as I said, it was a *possibility* just as the rest of the suggestions are. I neither claim it to be factual nor incorrect and fail to see how anyone else could either unless they:

1. Bred the fish themselves and know what species the parents were.

Or

2. Took the fish to a lab and found out there.

IMO, the only thing that is definate outside of them two senarios is that the most anybody reading this post can do is make an educated guess due to the good possibility of the fish in question being a hybrid. Perhaps keep that in mind before dusting off the soapbox and ruling something out as a fact next time :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back