Oh baby are these South American Tetras little

Seriously Fish has become a reliable source. I can't see whether the new name is a similar species or if the describer of the standard blue tetra made a mistake that was fixed. But, the fish is directly not recommended for Apisto tanks, and I think it might shred angels.

I wanted a little blue, and I got the blues from those boyos. There are not a lot of tetras I dislike, those, lemons and widows will do for that list, but they were nippy.

Pristella maxillaris will eat flake, crumbled in your fingers. They'll graze a lot.

There are 3 species sold as rummy nose, and two have different needs from the third. Did you get a Latin name?

Pristellas are interesting because the industry has an extinction process. They are in that pipeline. When they glofish a species, or create the bleeding heart Pristella with patchy skin colour, new aquarists jump on the novelty, and in many cases, the original wild type, popular for decades, can vanish from the farms. When the pendulum swings back to natural fish (it is a fashion type thing) the wild type is no longer stocked, and it becomes extinct in the hobby. In nature, it is hopefully fine.

I wish experiencd, or interested in nature aquarists would avoid the manipulated fish, but there are very few such aquarists compared to the buyers of glofish or balloons.

Rummy’s are supposed to be Hemigrammus
rhodostomus

I seem to enjoy the natural fishes more… I don’t own any short bodied or balloon fish, no parrots, and not currently keeping any glo’s other than what’s left over from my football themed tank… I do like my zebra lace angels though…

I did read on Seriously Fish, and wondered about the apisto’s note… I figured the apisto’s might bother the blues, did not expect the tetras, to bother the cichlids

Hello. I'm on the other side of the fence on the subject of Glo Fish. I've seen them close up and they can be as healthy as any fish as long as you give them the best water conditions possible. There are processes that hurt and damage fish, like injecting dye into their bodies. This is cruel and unacceptable. However, possession of the "glow" gene is passed from parent to offspring, and causes no discomfort to the fish. So, there's no need to avoid these fish for reasons of animal welfare. They have a place in the hobby and they're generating interest and I'm certainly interested.

Hello. I'm on the other side of the fence on the subject of Glo Fish. I've seen them close up and they can be as healthy as any fish as long as you give them the best water conditions possible. There are processes that hurt and damage fish, like injecting dye into their bodies. This is cruel and unacceptable. However, possession of the "glow" gene is passed from parent to offspring, and causes no discomfort to the fish. So, there's no need to avoid these fish for reasons of animal welfare. They have a place in the hobby and they're generating interest and I'm certainly interested.

There's no question of health of the individual fish. The issue, which as usual you sidestepped, is how glofishing or linebreeding are driving the disappearance of species from the hobby - in effect, reducing our choices. It's part of the process with big box stores replacing half a dozen smaller, more nimble stores. It seems unstoppaqble as a process, but it is a shame. I haven't seen 'real' Pristella around here for years. I like to link my hobby to what we can learn from nature, and I'm the opposite side to fish as ornaments. I do like pretty fish, for sure, but that isn't my motivation any more. Different approaches....

All the Pristella’s are doing good… they were eating freeze dried brine shrimp just now, all shoaled up…

Can’t say the same for the Rummy’s… only have 2 left, shoaling with the Pristella’s but the seller I’m buying African Tetras from this week, just got same species Rummy’s in, so I’ll order an additional 6… this is a more high end seller, than the “bread and butter” seller I got the others from yesterday… hoping for better luck there

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back