FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Animation

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey my friend asked me the other day..
Why do you like keeping fish?
What joys do you get out of it..?
I thought for a bit then i answered i like to keep fish because i like to work on a finished project- i like to see what i could turn the tank into and then make it realist- i enjoy watching the fish having a good time and knowing that it was ME that made that happen.
I like to know that i may have saved that fish from a fishshop.
And as most people fear disease i quite like to get over the barrier of it then know what is coming next and i enjoy to learn abou them..
What about you guys?!

Hi. Here's a short list of things that come to mind. 1. it adds life to a room. 2. there's nothing like an aquarium to get people to say WOW when they walk into the room. 3. once set-up, keeping fish is cheap. 4. they require little time compared to say a dog. 5. you can keep many different kinds. 6. they are relaxing to watch. 7. they don't chew, throw up, scratch, or soil your floors. 8. i find it interesting watching them all interact. 9. i find it interesting to learn about the different species. 10. you get a feeling of accomplishment having successfully kept fish for long periods of time.

Hi. Here's a short list of things that come to mind. 1. it adds life to a room. 2. there's nothing like an aquarium to get people to say WOW when they walk into the room. 3. once set-up, keeping fish is cheap. 4. they require little time compared to say a dog. 5. you can keep many different kinds. 6. they are relaxing to watch. 7. they don't chew, throw up, scratch, or soil your floors. 8. i find it interesting watching them all interact. 9. i find it interesting to learn about the different species. 10. you get a feeling of accomplishment having successfully kept fish for long periods of time.

Blimey! I couldn't of worded that better myself. Spot on cujoho78. :nod:

1) its better than watching big brother (or most thigns on tv)

2) its nice to know something in my house has a social life :hey:

3) they are cute (or ugly, or pretty, etc)

4) they make a nice addition to my snakes and lizards :D

5) watching them is either relaxing or exciting B)

6) it is very satisfying seeing a cichlid pair leading fry around and being good parents :nod:

7) it gives me something to read about when I should be doing work

I enjoy the research around it, and being able to observe behaviour; it's like being my own little David Attenborough! I've always wanted to do something watching wildlife, but never managed it properly due to lack of funds and a demanding profession. This is something that I can do, at my leisure, with a moderate outlay and despite being tied to the house a lot with a handicapped child. Realistically speaking, I will never be able to take her to the rainforest- but I can take the rainforest to her!

As a relatively new fish keeper, right now I mostly enjoy the learning aspect - and the results of that. Plus, they look great and are so relaxing to watch.

Agree on all counts. I also think that a beautifully planted tank is like a painting on the wall. It adds to the decor of the room (kind of what you meant by #2 I suppose). I would some day love to have one of the wall tanks that is indeed the wall betwen 2 rooms.

3. once set-up, keeping fish is cheap. 4. they require little time compared to say a dog

i agree with most points apart from those above. i could have about 10 dogs for the money i've spent on my tanks (i need £70 worth of light bulbs at the moment, Grrr) and number 4 is a joke in my situation but thats because of the plants LOL.

i keep fish bacause i like playing god... that just about sums it up really... oh and you have to have a hobby that winds up the misses it's kind of like an escape route.... "sorry love i cant right now, i'm up to my armpits in fish poo"... normally gets you out of most household chores.

ohhh and i love making babies.. :hey: i spend more time looking after my guppy fry than the plants nowadays theyre so cool i can watch them for hours and normally do.

Good topic, Animation :thumbs:

I enjoy many aspects of fishkeeping. It's fun to watch a large number of corys play happily.

I also collect corys, and searching for unusual ones online and at various lfs is a big part of the hobby for me.

Another thing that's important to me is being a mod on TFF. It means I get to spend my time among other people who love fish as much as I do. :D

2. there's nothing like an aquarium to get people to say WOW when they walk into the room.
True, true! But the "wow factor" differs on the number of tanks..
1 or 2 tanks = WOW! :hyper: :thumbs:
3 or 4 tanks = Wow, :hyper: :look:
4+= woooow,this person's insane -_-
At this point I think "Good gosh don't let em see the fishroom!"

I find the careful quality of fishkeeping, generally, soothing. I like maintaining it, measuring it, forming it, and observing it. Sometimes it can be stressful, but it's the ability to control the factors involved which I enjoy. It's a beautiful thing, which I am able to manage, among a sea of things which I can't.

I prefer watching my tanks to watching TV. As a matter of fact ,we don't have cable and I don't receive any TV channels in my area. We have small children and we don't like them being influenced by the what is on TV. So kids programs on DVD is what the kids watch. Now some of my kids science projects are about fish. My son even did a report on his tadpole and the different stages of development. My wife and I have decided that having fish tanks are more wholesome than watching TV.

There's soooooo many reasons why I like fishkeeping:
  • I love planning and designing things (it's a girl thing!) and fishkeeping gives me lots of opportunites for this. It's just that I'm then so indecisive I can't make up my mind once I have all those ideas floating around! :8)
  • Being able to do research is a good way of keeping up studying skills and giving me something to do in the evenings other than watch tv
  • I love having the routines - keeping a fishdiary, doing the stats, checking the equipment, cleaning the gravel and glass, water changes etc (sad I know... :*) )
  • Visiting my LFS to browse is a great way to spend spare time at the weekend even if you aint buying anything (well, ain't planning to anyways!)
  • I spend hours watching my fish in the evenings, maybe whilst reading a book or just relaxing, rather than watching the crap on tv
  • They entertain my kitties too!
  • The satisfaction when everything goes well and your plans come to fruition....bubbles from your first Nutrfin unit for example...
  • ....or in my case the excitement of getting there in the first place!
I could probably think of a million more if I sat here long enough, but that'll probably do for now!

:D
Ami

It's difficult answer really - I often asked myself this question!!

I guess I like to watch the fish and for some reason I really enjoy doing water changes! :nod:

Also, there's nothing like that feeling when you go to your LFS to buy a new fish with no idea what you are going to buy! --- well, until you get to the tills!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back