Office Space

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks, I use the Seachem ammonia alert, have not tried their PH.
I wouldn't have bothered but thought I'd try the ammonia alert when I was still testing twice daily. Only way I could get next day delivery was to buy the twin pack.

I wouldn't have bothered but thought I'd try the ammonia alert when I was still testing twice daily. Only way I could get next day delivery was to buy the twin pack.
Seems to work well, I tested for ammonia several times to verify it. But with all the plants I have in there it may not be need at all but it does reassure me. ;)

Woohoo. Stumpy's dorsal fin is completely healed. It is totally transparent but most of the females have very little colour here. As of yesterday her tail has a distinct fishtail shape and has grown again today. It too is clear. There is still a white strip where it was initially severed but this looks healthy so I am hoping its just scar tissue. I really struggle to find her with the tank lights off now because her swimming action is back to normal.

I have stopped adding salt and I am doing a 15% water change every other day to reduce the salt in the water. I will do a 75% change on Thursday night as the new arrivals will be here Friday morning.

Oh and she currently has a load of eggs on board (this is new) and is terrorising the males in the tank ;).

Woohoo. Stumpy's dorsal fin is completely healed. It is totally transparent but most of the females have very little colour here. As of yesterday her tail has a distinct fishtail shape and has grown again today. It too is clear. There is still a white strip where it was initially severed but this looks healthy so I am hoping its just scar tissue. I really struggle to find her with the tank lights off now because her swimming action is back to normal.

I have stopped adding salt and I am doing a 15% water change every other day to reduce the salt in the water. I will do a 75% change on Thursday night as the new arrivals will be here Friday morning.

Oh and she currently has a load of eggs on board (this is new) and is terrorising the males in the tank ;).
That was faster then I thought for stumpy to grow back. :clap:

Lousy pic but you get the idea
20200706_165606.jpg

And here is the before
20200621_200120-jpg.107718

Uh oh. Third and final species now chosen and arriving on Friday as well.

I'm blaming @NCaquatics for posting pics of her sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila). I remembered that I really really wanted a pair for my nano but decided not to because of their affinity for shrimp. Called the supplier this morning and their stock is still too young to reliably sex, so I ordered 6 with a request for more females than males on a best endeavours basis. Lets hope I don't end up with 5 males ;) or my shrimp population may be under threat if I have to start relocations when they reach maturity.

Also ordered a new lid. The polycarbonate is too bendy. I could live with this and the sliding lid arrangement works well when the panels are dry. But after a few days of condensation they stick together. So I have ordered a single sheet of acrylic to sit on the edge of the tank. That means I don't have to worry about tolerances as it is a bit bigger than the tank. This will give a good snug fit and provide the humid environment needed for any labyrinth fry that happen along :)

Last edited:
Uh oh. Third and final species now chosen and arriving on Friday as well.

I'm blaming @NCaquatics for posting pics of her sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila). I remembered that I really really wanted a pair for my nano but decided not to because of their affinity for shrimp. Called the supplier this morning and their stock is still too young to reliably sex, so I ordered 6 with a request for more females than males on a best endeavours basis. Lets hope I don't end up with 5 males ;) or my shrimp population may be under threat if I have to start relocations when they reach maturity.

Also ordered a new lid. The polycarbonate is too bendy. I could live with this and the sliding lid arrangement works well when the panels are dry. But after a few days of condensation they stick together. So I have ordered a single sheet of acrylic to sit on the edge of the tank. That means I don't have to worry about tolerances as it is a bit bigger than the tank. This will give a good snug fit and provide the humid environment needed for any labyrinth fry that happen along :)
Think thats a good decision Sean. Might just of saved you some hassle not getting Apisto's. I reget getting mine at the moment

Is it just me, or is the tetra in post #67, picture #2 missing its tail??

Think thats a good decision Sean. Might just of saved you some hassle not getting Apisto's. I reget getting mine at the moment
Your experience did play some part in it - and there's another member also struggling with new Apistos.
I do prefer an easy life but am getting prepared in case I need to start on large daily water changes. It will be exactly a month since I first added water to the tank and I will be more than doubling the bioload, so I hope the tank can deal with it. May have to bring back the frogbit I have only just finished clearing :)

my best suggestion with the sparklers, once you can sex them, if you have more than one male, best to locate a new home for the extra males. The females may be a little nippy to each other but generally keep to their own patch of territory, but males can be relentless with each other. I started with 2 males and one terrorized the other so bad nonstop even with lots of hiding places.

Can't wait to see them :D they're fantastic fish, very underrated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back