Odd baseball game...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My Cleveland baseball team won 8-4 last night but in an odd way. They scored 6 runs in the 8th inning with three outs. How can this be one may ask as there were three outs??? Well, here is how it went. The first two Cleveland batters struck out. The third batter also struck out but the ball got away from the catcher. The rules hold that a third strike MUST be caught by the catcher. If not caught and the ball hits the ground the batter has to be tagged out or thrown out at first base just like a ground ball. In this case the Cleveland batter made it safely to first base extending the inning. Since the pitcher still gets credit for a strikeout there are three outs but the third out is nullified as to game play but there are still three recorded outs. Yes, baseball can be odd. ;) After that Cleveland followed by sending 8 more hitters to the plate resulting in a total of 6 runs. So 'technically' they scored 6 runs when already having 3 outs in the inning. This was against the Detroit Tigers.

Another odd thing with Cleveland and Detroit is that they have played against each other for over 100 years and have exactly the same record against each other as they have both won exactly the same number of games.

Only watched baseball once.

It was a "friendly" game tween USAF/RAF Lakenheath and the now decommissioned USAF/RAF Bentwaters at the USAF/RAF Mildenhall airshow about 35 years ago

I found the game interesting....very similar to the British game of rounders that I played at school. There was a "friendly" game of NFL tween the same two airbase teams too. USAF/RAF Bentwaters won both games.

(Bentwaters is also famous for the UK's only confirmed UFO sighting in Rendlesham Forest that used to border the now derelict airbase in 1980)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back