Octopus Housing Basics

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

It depends on species really, they all vary quite a bit in size from a few centimeters upwards. Personally I would steer towards a different type of octo though as the blue rings are very dangerous to keep due to their venom as well as agressiveness. Alot of people get attracted to these by their bold colourations but these are only displayed when the octo is angry, the rest of the time maintaining bland colourings. Couple this with their small size and lower activity compared to many other species and they have very little going for them other than a fearsome reputation. It is a pity that this reputation causes many to buy one based on that alone, not knowing that they are housing a potential killer in their tank who's bite is often not even felt and requires immediate medical attention as well as antivenom in most cases.

Bottom line - save your cash for a species that is more active, curious and robust, much more colourful during the majority of it's life and that isn't going to kill you if you are not absolutely, positively careful when near the tank (and not near it in the event of an escape) :good:

Bluering Octopuses posess the exact same toxin as do the poisonous species of puffer that being tetrodotoxin (named after the tetrodontiform puffers) this stuff will kill you if you do not recieve medical treatment in time, it's not a matter of possibly being killed its a certanty. If invenomated by a blue ring, your only hope is lifesupport equipment to do your breathing and heart beating for you while the toxin wears off, this being because it works by blocking the nerve receptors which controll these bodily functions. Not a pleasant way to die at all. And contrary to what dragonscales has mentioned there is no antivenom for tetrodotoxin.

SLC

And contrary to what dragonscales has mentioned there is no antivenom for tetrodotoxin.

You are absolutely right, dunno why I figured there was when I posted it tbh (probably half asleep and got it mixed up with something else :lol: ) but I guess it happens from time to time. Cheers for the correction as I probably wouldn't have picked up on that for a while if there wasn't a new post :thumbs:

Yeah, I know absolutely nothing about octopi other than the blue ring posesses tetrodotoxin, I'm a pre-med student right now and had done some research into tetrodotoxin for a biochem class a while back. Seems that it is currently being looked at for use in anesthesia as a pain med, of course it will be highly refined and only dosed in microgram doses as to prevent paralysis and death in the patient. Only the amount that would fit on the head of a pin could kill 10 people if I remember correctly.

SLC

what type of octopus is the smallest but non poisinous?

their are some small dwarf species but they are hard to identify so you could very well just receive a baby octo that will grow to be much bigger. if you receive a genuine dwarf then it will be most likely full frown and have only weeks to live...hardly worth it if you ask me.

on the other hand bimacs grow to be about two feet from arm tip to arm tip and do best in a 50 gallon tank or larger, they live to be 1-1 1/2 years useually

Most reactions

Back