Nutrafin Co2 Basic User Guide

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My bubbles are still whole when the get to the top, should they have broken down by then?

No, they should be a bit smaller than they were when they first came out though.

Hi Guys

Does it matter what kind of yeast you use? I used some Hovis bread machine yeast packets. I used 1tsp of yeast as I have a 30gl tank and it only produced bubbles for one day, now it isnt doing anything.

I have tried warming it up by placing it in a bowl of warm water which did nothing.

Here is a diagram of my setup

co2-kit.jpg

Before I went to bed I set the vent valve so all the co2 just venting off and didnt enter the ladder.

Is there anything above that might have caused such a poor performance?

Thanks
Aaron

Hmm, well more yeast needs more sugar, it will use it up quicker. Also unsure if it may have created alcohol quickly too and killed itself.....CO2 stops being produced because there is either no food left (sugar), too much alcohol (from the fermentation of the sugar) or a mix of both.

Hmm odd. I followed George's instructions exactly. If I am using 1tsp of yeast do I need to use twice the sugar?

Thanks
Aaron

EDIT - Just looked at the pack and it is 'fast action' yeast so it may differ from standard yeast, off to go and get some normal dired yeast now

Aaron

Hmm odd. I followed George's instructions exactly. If I am using 1tsp of yeast do I need to use twice the sugar?

Thanks
Aaron

EDIT - Just looked at the pack and it is 'fast action' yeast so it may differ from standard yeast, off to go and get some normal dired yeast now

Aaron

I might have to do the same! I used the same yeast as you! The bubbles are coming out of one of them (has 1 teaspoon of yeast), they go about 3 steps up then stop. The other one (which has less yeast in it, 1/2 teaspoon, isn't doing anything i don't think).

So...i think i need 1 teaspoon of yeast in both cannisters, and just plain standard yeast (not this hovis one).

Very confusing...I also need to get a CO2 tester thing now, because i have no-idea what the levels are...thankfully theres no fish in my tank and won't be for a few weeks.

I have been out and got some normal yeast, will see how that goes.

The hovis one seems to start working almost instantly, which I dont think is right

Aaron

I've noticed that some brands put more stuff in with the yeast than others:

ASDA/HOVIS Fast Action: Dried Yeast (ASDA 93%, HOVIS 92%), Calcium Sulphate, Flour Treatment Agents (Ascorbic acid, Alpha Amylase), Emulsifier (Sorbiton Monostearate), Enzymes (HOVIS only).

Allinson Easy Bake: I typically only have the right sachet with no ingredients listed, but I am 99% sure it only has dried yeast and calcium sulphate.

I've only seen the Allinson product in CO-OP stores and even then it was hard to find, it was hidden behind something and even then was only available in 2-sachet packs.

I would imagine the best one to use is the Allinson (or other with little added extras!) and though I've not had any troubles with any, the Allinson has little or no froth build-up unlike the ASDA/HOVIS products.

i use allinson easy bake fast bake quick bake whatever u wanna call it and it works great i use sugar to the first line and half a teaspoon and it works great.

hi guys i set up my aquqube but i only had 100 pounds to spend on it but i have used all of tha and all im missing is co2
does anyony have a spare nutrafin kit they can post me for free plz
my plants are gonna die any my mum said she isnt letting my spend another penny plz guys ive spent the past 6 months earning money to fund for this tank plz dont let it get wasted if anyone is kindly willing to give me a kit i will amke my own diy solution it would be muh appreciated plz guys
thanks
plz pm if u will giv 1 to me plz

Plants won't die without CO2, they may not grow as well, but they won't die. Plus your light levels are not currently high enough to be worried about adding CO2 at the moment.

Cheapest option for you is to use some empty pop bottles though you'd still need to get a diffuser/ladder etc of some sort. Possible that you could link the CO2 tube to your internal filter but it depends if it has a venturi attachment?

Hi Arif

You dont need Co2. I kept a tank with plants for 4 years before I had even heard of Co2

You will be fine

Aaron

i want to create a carpet from the hc i bought any ideas on how to do this wat light lvls i will need etc
plus i mite increase my lighting to 4.3wpg for 3 or 4 months so my plants get a headstrat grwoing

No point increasing for a few months then dropping it down again, plants will grow, then do really badly once the lights drop.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back