Not sure what is wrong with betta's fin

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jen2

Reaction score
Hi. My daughter has had her betta for about 9 months. Things were fine, but tank started getting algae almost the day after I cleaned it. I have gravel, carbon motorized marineland filter in a 3 gallon tank...which water is about 2.25 to 2.5 gallons water since gravel takes up space. Told at Petsmart to maybe change the artificial plant to a new one since I could not get the algae all off as well as add a moss ball. I cleaned the tank, but had left the fish in while cleaning before changing out the plants. The water was pretty dirty compared to usual. I usually keep the fish in the tank while I clean it, vacuum gravel, sponge sides, water change. Noticed afterwards betta' dorsal fin looked clamped a bit. Rest of fish looks ok, although I am unsure if there may be a small pinpoint hole in bottom fin. The fish doesn't hold still very often when it sees me...which is normal for him. Eating fine. I use the API dip water parameter sticks for ammonia and nitrates/ph/etc. and they are within normal limits. I use Prime water conditioner and add in 1/2 tsp. Aquarium salt in the new gallon I add with water changes. I have started bettafix and slime coat protection, but things seem about the same. No better, no worse. Is there anything else I should do? I have cleaned tank every 2 days for 3 times to try and get things better. Additional info. The tank is heated to 77-77.5 degrees F. I use betta food by Aqueon. I feed him 3 pieces every other day. The slime coat medicine is called stress coat. I use Marine land 6 in 1 test strips. Results are:pH7.2, KH 120, total chlorine 0, GH 150 (we have always had hard water), nitrite 0, nitrate 0. API ammonia test strips ammonia ppm 0.Thank you in advance for your insight.
Is this just stress or is it an infection? I have searched your site and the web and frankly, I have a hard time telling what is the beginning of fin rot versus stress. It seems really hard to tell until it gets bad. My son lost his betta about a year ago after we tried all the different medicines for gram+, gram -, fungal....I still wonder if the treatments were what killed the fish. That is why I am trying to be very cautious with what medications, if any, I use. Is there a really good picture of the progression of fin rot versus stress? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20170609_160748.jpg
    20170609_160748.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Hi @Jen2 if your betta was fine before the water change then it is just a fin tear.
Bettas when wander in the tank sometimes get collided with sharp objects that may cause fin tear. This is nothing to worry about. That fin should recover in a day or two.
But if you see that your Bettas fin are losing colour or they are not healing and getting more tears then you should treat the Fish for fin rot.

Don't use the stress coat - it is unnecessary and can cause problems in the long term. Personally I would not use salt either, just plenty of clean fresh water. Real plants are better than artificial for creating a stress free environment and contribute to general tank health.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The best way to treat fish with minor injuries is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. The filter case and impellor assembly (Magnet with plastic blades) can be washed out under tap water.

I usually add a little aquarium salt along with the clean water changes. It acts as an astringent to keep the tear clean while healing. Only do it as a treatment and not on a regular basis. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back