Not A Good Day

I can't imagine swallowing tank water, I think I'd be sick. I got one of these http://www.fishtankwarehouse.com/images/pr...small/PP005.jpg then got enough hose from LFS to reach the garden from the gravel vac. You wiggle the vac bit up and down in the water til you create a vacuum then it does it all for you, filling up again via the garden hose, if you do 30% water changes each time will not alter the temp enough to effect them. Fill the water back in at the heater end. I got this advice the other day, I was so worried cold water would effect the tank temp but it doesn't and the fish quite liked dancing about in the fresh cold water, nutters.
 
i have 10 tanks, so guess how many times i have done that, its always a little bit worse with my Brackish tanks though :)

yuk I get the same cs you always get the taste of the tube!!!

i'm always doing it but after so many years I get used to it.
 
Well, wednesday is water change day, so business as usual I started to siphon off the old water. ( my method - heat sterilise one end and suck) I got slightly distracted by my son and sucked a little too much out..... needless to say I got a throat full of dirty wate :sick: r. As I ran off to honk my guts up, my siphon carried on it's task, all over my floor (thankfully only half a tanks worth)

I'm thoroughly P****d off and feel terrible (memo to self - buy some mints!) Is it just me or has anyone else sampled their tank water?

Many years ago when I was a young free and single I worked in an electroplating shop. Many times had to syphon the contents out of a tank of plating or cleaning solution, these were based on acid, caustic soda or cyanide. Learnt a few different ways to start syphons even in 1.5 inch hose and for obvious reasons none of them involved sucking by mouth! One of the few skills I learnt in the world of work which comes in handy in our hobby.
 
You always get someone who sucks too hard,gets a mouthful and then says its salty! :shifty:
 

Shelagh, can you attach more hose to this to make it longer? More to the point - did you buy this, and if so, do you think it could be extended? :P Pic on the site doesn't show much - reckon you could mess with it so you could fill the tank up again using this? I really need a python but they are sooooo expensive!
 
I often advise people how I do water changes, and this is obviously depends how big your tank is.

If you have a large tank like mine (1000ltrs), I will get the hose from outside, stick it in my tank, turn on the outside tap, this preps the hose with water, then I unplug the hose from the tap and let the water back flow down the drain. Once down at a good level, I reconnect the tap, and turn it on till it fills the tank back up.

Yes the water I put in will be cold, and if it is freezing I only do a couple of "s a time, however most times, I do 30/40%. The two 300w heaters kick in and the rest of the water in the tank soon helps get things back up to temp.
 
I often advise people how I do water changes, and this is obviously depends how big your tank is.

If you have a large tank like mine (1000ltrs), I will get the hose from outside, stick it in my tank, turn on the outside tap, this preps the hose with water, then I unplug the hose from the tap and let the water back flow down the drain. Once down at a good level, I reconnect the tap, and turn it on till it fills the tank back up.

Yes the water I put in will be cold, and if it is freezing I only do a couple of "s a time, however most times, I do 30/40%. The two 300w heaters kick in and the rest of the water in the tank soon helps get things back up to temp.

unfortunatly my tank is only an iddy biddy 40 litres, so I don't think that would work for me. But thanks anyway :good:
 

Shelagh, can you attach more hose to this to make it longer? More to the point - did you buy this, and if so, do you think it could be extended? :P Pic on the site doesn't show much - reckon you could mess with it so you could fill the tank up again using this? I really need a python but they are sooooo expensive!

no i didnt buy it as i only realised they had it when i got home and searched for diffrent tap fittings for the one i got, looks from the pic like you may be a ble to, and argos imo are very good with the 14 day money back promise, so if its not what you were after just take it back :)

from the bit in the pic that is close to the watering can, i would do awy with that ( if its not a joinable thinghy) and just nick one of the joiner thingys from the kit i did get
 
oh god I've done that before, didn't spill the syphon mind you, but still. Meh, fish water isn't that terrible of a taste lol, mind you I think Mcdonalds has good burgers too :P
 

Most reactions

Back
Top