Not A Good Day

Helen G

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
499
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cheshire
Well, wednesday is water change day, so business as usual I started to siphon off the old water. ( my method - heat sterilise one end and suck) I got slightly distracted by my son and sucked a little too much out..... needless to say I got a throat full of dirty wate :sick: r. As I ran off to honk my guts up, my siphon carried on it's task, all over my floor (thankfully only half a tanks worth)

I'm thoroughly P****d off and feel terrible (memo to self - buy some mints!) Is it just me or has anyone else sampled their tank water?
 
i have 10 tanks, so guess how many times i have done that, its always a little bit worse with my Brackish tanks though :)
 
Once happened to me, vile isnt it!
 
Ive never started the siphon off with my mouth.
It was hard the first time to get the water running till I learnt how to use it properly.
 
It was the way my husband showed me, He siphons a lot - fuel from his bike for the mower - and showed me this method. How else can I do it?
 
If you don't want to use your mouth, I've seen a way where a person 'jerks' the end of the hose up and down in the water. I used to use this little black ball thingy, I don't know its actual name but its about tennis ball size with 2 valves in it, one of them goes into the pipe, you then squeeze the ball and it sucks air out, creating a syphon.
The 'jerk' method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzRZMMNCvu4


For my tanks now, all I do is suck the hose, its just quicker and easier for me, after a few times you know when to point the hose into the bucket, I usually find that one good 'suck' and its enough to get it going. Though remember which end goes in the tank and which end in your mouth :P not sure if it matters but it makes me feel better.

Alternatively this seems simpler lol, don't know if it would work for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEBbjKK5xQ
 
For me, the python is the only way to go :good:
It's like having laser eye surgery - life changing!
 
I don't have a siphon tube, just a good old fashioned length of hose. Maybe I should invest in one though. Shroob thanks for the link. I really liked the second one! Looks very easy. :good:

For me, the python is the only way to go :good:
It's like having laser eye surgery - life changing!

Does it come with the 80's lady with big shoulder pads? :hyper:
 
Can someone UK based tell me where I can buy a python from?? I haven't seen one in any of my LFS's. And approximately how much do you pay for them? That US site doesn't really help, apart from make me more deperate to buy one! :0
 
Can someone UK based tell me where I can buy a python from?? I haven't seen one in any of my LFS's. And approximately how much do you pay for them? That US site doesn't really help, apart from make me more deperate to buy one! :0

They are very expensive in the UK, from shops they range from £40-70. If you're interested in one look though the hardware section via searches, quite a few people have made them for alot lot cheaper.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...asp#product1032
http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/misc.htm

Just a few links, but theres other shops out there but just to give you an idea of the price they are asking.
 
done it loads of times with no ill effect mind you i used to do my water changes on a evening so if i did get a gut full
a good swig of brandy or whisky or any thing alcoholic to kill the bacteria or was it just an excuse just to have a drink
.i bought my python from aquticfanatic in yorkshire but you could try one of the big mail order places on the net
you might find one there or ebay maybe



biff :sick:
 
It was the way my husband showed me, He siphons a lot - fuel from his bike for the mower - and showed me this method. How else can I do it?

Helen i know another way which is even CHEAPER !!!!!

take it back to the teacher (hubby) lol, get him to start off the syphon so if there is a mouth full of water to be had its the hubby that gets it.
 
Hmmm. don't fancy making one.... not much good at that sort of thing! Anyone in the States know of a real cheap website to buy from? I have some friends in the States, I could get it sent to one of them and then get them to forward it to me....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top