Northern Gray Tree Frog

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Three days ago I rescued a northern gray tree frog ( I accidentally rolled over it with my lawn mower). The only obvious injury it had was its eye. The eye was bleeding at first and the frog was unresponsive but I've been treating the area with Neosporin and it looks fine except for being red. My main concern is that the frog isn't eating. I've tried crickets, grasshoppers, ants, and mealworms. It just ignores the food. Is that normal or could something else be wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Considering it is a tree climbing species, it may need more arboreal species of insects for food source.

Best bet would be to relinquish it to a wildlife center. I know in my area this is an extremely rare and threatened species and it would be very illegal to take it in.

Considering it is a tree climbing species, it may need more arboreal species of insects for food source.

Best bet would be to relinquish it to a wildlife center. I know in my area this is an extremely rare and threatened species and it would be very illegal to take it in.
I Googled the food they eat and their diet is mainly crickets and grasshoppers. I was just concerned that there might be internal injuries.
As far as I know, it is legal to keep this species in my area. (I'm in the USA)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on how to get a frog to eat?
In my experience, amphibians get stressed out when in a new environment, and won't eat until they feel comfortable. Plus, if it is injured (even if it is minor), this causes stress as well. Also, crickets and grasshoppers might be too big for it to eat. How big is the frog? Most tree frogs are quite small. Flies would likely be a more appropriate food for most tree frogs. You could try fruit flies.

The frog is small; about an inch from the head to the tail. I had looked up their diet and everything said that they eat crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms, ants, spiders, and moths.

The frog is small; about an inch from the head to the tail. I had looked up their diet and everything said that they eat crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms, ants, spiders, and moths.
Small moths, spiders, mites, ants, small beetles and flies are best for a tree frog that size... Unless the crickets and grasshoppers are tiny, they are probably too big for a tree frog that size...But it may be a few days before the frog feels relaxed enough to eat, especially if it is injured and very stressed out... Make sure it is staying moist...Not in water or"wet"..but moist..

If it's injured, it may not have much of an appetite for a while. If you're just keeping it for a few days, it will be fine without food.
If you need to feed it, first ensure that you are keeping it in a proper environment. This species does well in a somewhat humid, planted vivarium. They should not be allowed to get too warm- 65-75f is ideal. In general, they will eat any live, moving prey that will fit in their mouths. They like movement. Small crickets, grasshoppers, and moths are ideal. If the frog seems reluctant to eat, try smaller prey.

assuming it doesn't have any internal injuries, it should eat anything that moves and is small enough to fit in its mouth.
make sure you use dechlorinated water for it.

are you feeding it live or dead insects?
are you feeding it during the day or night? It might prefer to eat after dark.

I had a live cricket and grasshopper in there for a few days. The grasshopper disappeared two days ago and the cricket disappeared overnight. Today it was far more energetic and trying to escape out of its cage :) I think I am going to bring it to a wildlife refuge since it is half blind.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back