NOOOOOO!!!!! IT CANT BE

GURLY

Reaction score
:-( my fry died. there were like 30 now theirs 4 i was doing as told changing 10% of water every week i didnt take the fish out. i feed them crushed up flakes after school and on weekends in the morning. did i need to feed them more?? help me mabey the last 4 can survive. :-(

GURLY said:
. i feed them crushed up flakes after school and on weekends in the morning. did i need to feed them more?? help me mabey the last 4 can survive. :-(
Please tell me that what I think youre saying is not what you meant.Did you only feed your fry once after school during the week and once in the mornings on weekends.
Remember fish fry is pretty much as human babies.We eat a lot during the whole day;The more the marrier only feed them in small quantities each time.
And if I am mistaken and thats not what you meant,well check temp.should be in the high 70's to low 80's.Is the tank cycled?Do you have a corydoras cat fish to help cleaning the tanks bottom?And are you using any H2O treatment/conditioner?

fry need to eat a couple of times a day. mine get fed only three times a day, but most people recommend 5 or 6 times.

I actually have a question for those who are more experienced...

Most recomends finely crushed flakes for the just-born fries. When I provide these flakes, the fries don't seem to be all that interested - they are so small and stays at the bottom all the time... Same thing for baby brine shrimps - I have yet to witness them eat during the 1st 2 weeks.

Only after 2 weeks, I see them eat BBS, and sometimes flakes. I can see that the only reason my fries survive through the first two weeks is because I also have a huge ball of java moss which must be providing all kind of micro-sized food (including infusoria?) ... I have a 10w light on it just to make sure the java moss is healthy!

By the way I am doing this on a 10g tank - I always remove the female about 1 week before the expected day into this tank, and as soon as I detect the little ones, I move the female back to another tank...

How do others feed their young ones? I've actually been feeding only once a day!

I fed my new borns liquid fry food, been continue doing it for a month, but mixed with crushed flakes. I feed them 3-4 times a day.

My baby cichlids eat like pigs!!!! Even before they have lost their yolk sacs!!!
I use "sera- mikropan" and sally's baby brine shrimp. Mind you baby cichlids are alot bigger than say molly, guppy or platy babies....

Perhaps they are getting fed without me realizing that it is actually happening? I do provide BBS fromt the day 1 (5 days per week), and since they are supposed to survive for about 10-12 hours in the fresh water, I guess I didn't need to feed them multiple times a day. Most of the shrimps die in the tank - I can see them deposited at the bottom of the tank. This never happens when they are 2+ weeks old since they eat and eat and eat until all of them are gone! :D

Most reactions

Back