Noobie Needs Noob Advice :)

Katchan

Fish Addict
Reaction score
1st, please pardon my noobieness and not always knowing correct names/spelling

I recently (nearly 3 weeks) purchased a 2nd hand tank for my 3 1/2 yr old christmas present (he had been asking for near 6 months so we hoped it would work well (it has everyone loves but my 2 1/2 yr old has trouble keeping things - hands, toys etc.- out of it). The seller told me the tank is roughly six months old, cycling well and was stocked from a larger tank which has now been dedicated to discus fish. The fish in at the time were

1 white cloud tetra
5 neons
1 red tailed black shark (2 1/2" long)
1 angel fish with wondefully long fins(2" long 3"+ high) (seems placid, not interested in the white clouds and neons)
1 orange/gold sword tail
1 khuli loach
1 bristle nosed catfish
1 small white (albino?) catfish

2 small/low plants

tank is about 70 liters (18 US Gallons?) water changed fortnightly (20liters). It's of the newer curved variety. After resetting it up when we got home, the shark set himself a territory of the back left corner of the tank being very aggressive about it, and aggressive in general to the swordtail. After 2 days (and the information we had pre and post purchase)we decided to get the single white cloud some friends (3 new ones, this resulted in him being more active and swimming with the new tetra's)

about a 3 or 4 days later bristlenosed catfish kills stoopid self by swimming into filter intake and getting stuck :S

2 weeks after purchase sword tail looking VERY unhappy doesnt do much sits in corner looking glum/sick :( , dies 2 days later.

Chhristmas eve consult LFS, dedicated to fish only and seems quite successful so we consulted salesman for advice on rounding out the tank said a few more should be okay and reccommended what not to get (mainly stressed no tiger barbs) so we got 4 male guppies with pretty tales, 1 small silver shark, 1 gourami (lovely blue/green stripes silver/white belly) and three plants (all same type, tall fern like things).

so current stock is
4 white cloud tetra (keep to top)
5 neons (mostly bottom)
1 red tailed black shark (3+" long) (2/3 time left botom rest swims about happy)
1 angel fish with wondefully long fins(2" long 3"+ high) (mid to top)
1 khuli loach (hides mostly)
1 bristle nosed catfish (3 1/2"+ long) (bottom mostly)
4 male guppies with pretty tales (mid to top)
1 small silver shark (mid tank)
1 gourami (lovely blue/green stripes silver/white belly) (keeps top)

2 small/low plants
2 tall plants (please consult my 2 1/2 yr old as to why its not three :whistle: )

all now seems VERY harmoneous in there, all seem happy

here's my questions
1. Is this over stocked?

2. Some of the information I found said that gourami's should be pairs or more. Is this right? Should I get another?

3 With the Bristle Nose dead should I replace with another? I dont think the red tail shark, loach and small white catfish are keeping up with the job. Should I repleace it? and if so with what? (catfish, other fish, snail etc)

Thanks in advance

Katchan

:hi: to the forum. Introduce yourself in the newbie section. :D

Ok, lots of thinks, so lets get started. :cracks knuckles:

First, sorry about the plec dying. :/

2nd, I take it all of the lists you put in that post were of your fish...

No more "1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.":

Was your tank cycled before you added the fish? If not, thne more fish will die... Have no idea what cycling is? Check out the pinned articles on cycling and starting up your tank in the beginners section. I would suggest returning any fish that I have blatantly said no to (others will agree, but you shoudl wait for more replies) because they should not be in your tank, and because you can still get a refund for them, whereas you would lose a deal of money if they were to just die.

Also, do you have a test kit? If not, get one so you can monitor your tanks. :D

Sharks get to be big and need more than 18 gallons. Suggest you return them...

You are overstocked, what with the angel and the sharks.

Angelfish get to 4-6" and need at least a 30 gallon tank. :/
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=972

Loach can't stay either. :( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1072

That site will help with general stocking qestions, so you know what you cannot have, period (provided it is many gallons bigger than what you have. otherwise, you can ask us. ;)).

Is that white cloud tetras or minnows. I have never heard of the former...

Gouramis can be kept singly without problems.

Yes, albino corydoras. :nod:

HTH, I think I covered all of it...

Thanksfor the info Tempestuousfury, the tank was cycling well before purchase, dont have a test kit so I better grab one ASAP :wub: as for the angel fish and the Sharks will keep, (if all went well with this setup I planned to get a larger one for myself so can transfer to that, now I may need to do sooner than later :D )

Is that white cloud tetras or minnows. I have never heard of the former...

OOPS me bad, is minnow :wub:

Katchan

Ok. No problem. Just wanted to mention that they need slightly cooler water, at about 72F.

You say it was cycled before. Are you using the same gravel and filter media as the prior owner did? If not, the cycle has to restart, and the tank would be considered new. ;)

have to agree with all Tempestuousfury said

if you did keep the same gravel and filter media you should be ok and can consider the tank cycled, providing you didn't clean it as its the bacteria in it thats helpful. if you cleaned it you will have got rid of any useful bacteria and the cycle will have to begin again

good luck ;)

Same gravel and filter media (rocks over sponge with water pumped through/over) as was in tank originally (in transport home left 20 liters in the tank and had the fish in a 20 liter sealed bucket with the original water, added back when home)

Katchan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back