Non-overbreed Fish?

GuppyGoddess

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
1,037
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
Ugh, okay, I've read that guppies are prone to issues due to being overbreed. Also, I've read the same about Bettas.

Are their any tropical fish that are NOT considered overbreed to the point of loosing their hardy qualities? Fish that stay small and can be kept in tanks 10 gallons or smaller. (I would only have 2 or 3)

Thanks for thoughts/opinions.
 
only commercially bred guppies are a problem, not home bred/show class guppies. Moving on, probably endlers [:P] or congo tetras [not sur on min gallons tho :S]
 
Cardinal tetras are usually wild-caught so I would assume that they are not bred often. However because of this they are sometimes hard to acclimate to a tank, especially if it is newer. I have 5 cardinal tetras in my 10 gallon tank right now, they were added around the 7 month mark in the tank's maturity and I suffered very few deaths (only 2 I believe, and both were pretty stressed looking when I brought them home). Now they are some of my hardiest fish.

If you are only looking for 2 or 3 though I would not suggest that, 5 already is lower than it should be (6 is the suggest minimum).
 
If you buy Bettas from a good source, there is no reason to believe they are overbred. You could have two with a divider in a 10 gal. Check out aquabid for some stunning examples of Bettas from good sources.
 
I second John's sugestion of endlers-they are fab active little fish. When you say 2 or 3, do you mean tanks or fish? 'Cos most of the little fish need to be in, and look much better in, larger numbers.
Congo tetras need a 4ft tank minimum I think, they shoal and get big (about 4 inches?)
 
I second John's sugestion of endlers-they are fab active little fish. When you say 2 or 3, do you mean tanks or fish? 'Cos most of the little fish need to be in, and look much better in, larger numbers.
Congo tetras need a 4ft tank minimum I think, they shoal and get big (about 4 inches?)
I mean three or four fish total (not tanks). . .I guess I should have mentioned that schooling fish (due to needing 6+ per species) wouldn't work for me in that small of a tank. I'd just like a few fish that will be happy together!
 
yep... u can keep gouramis on thier own ... thou having 2 females for every male is need to stop agression with the dwarf .. but not so much with honeys
 
what size tank are you thinking of putting them in dwarf gouramis need min of 5 gallons for 1 fish 10 gallons if you want to keep more than 1 and only one male unless tank is over 40us gallons and heavilly planted with caves

honey gouramis min tank 5 gallons - group of 3-5 in a 10 gallon heavilly planted with caves would be happy

if you have a 10 gallon you could have 6 female bettas in there - again heavilly planted with caves - not much would go in tanks under 5 gallon apart

single male betta - 3 gal min - though if you have a 5 gallon could have male betta and 5-6 pygmy corys or khuli loaches
 
what size tank are you thinking of putting them in dwarf gouramis need min of 5 gallons for 1 fish 10 gallons if you want to keep more than 1 and only one male unless tank is over 40us gallons and heavilly planted with caves

honey gouramis min tank 5 gallons - group of 3-5 in a 10 gallon heavilly planted with caves would be happy

if you have a 10 gallon you could have 6 female bettas in there - again heavilly planted with caves - not much would go in tanks under 5 gallon apart

single male betta - 3 gal min - though if you have a 5 gallon could have male betta and 5-6 pygmy corys or khuli loaches

My male betta just moved into a 3-gallon and is super content. I put a female into his 1-gallon bowl, so now I've gotta find a place to move her up to once she's past quarantine. . .

The largest size tank I'd get is a 10-gallon, and that is pushing it. I have the room, it's just that my husband would kill me if he walked in the door and I was setting up a 40 gallon tank! hahaha So, gotta be rational about this addiction.
 
I'd be careful with the honey gourami idea. We tried those guys twice and each of the 4 died. They just aren't that hardy. The one dwarf gourami lasted a while though, until we had to give him away because of conflicting territory issues with the honeys, so I'd personally go for one of them, provided you give enough hiding places and tank space.

good luck.
 
Dwarfs aren't always wonderful either, although I haven't heard anything in a while so possibly the problem is sorted.

Either way, you should thereoretically be fine with whatever as long as you buy healthy fish from a decent shop. Failing that, make sure they have a refund policy.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top