No to blood worms?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

momsspaghett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I currently am trying to feed my betta frozen blood worms and I have never seen a betta refuse/ignore the blood worm. My second betta coming from the same fry batch (they are about 2.5, 3 months old) eats the bloodworms with joy! I got some frozen brine shrimp and I am planning on trying to feed those to him tomorrow; first time trying, lets see what happens. He's new and I got him about a week, week and a half ago and still nothing. I don't have any hard betta food and I have barely bought the frozen brine shrimp so I am assuming it is possible that he is eating the small/baby bladder and ramshorn snails in the tank. Perfectly energetic and healthy and doesn't seem hungry. I want my fish to have a variety in food and I don't want him just eating one thing. Anyone have any advice? Along with other food recommendations I should incorporate to their diets? Thanks.

Each Betta is different. Some like x food, others like y food.

Bettas shouldn’t be fed only one food, they should have a mixed diet. I personally feed my Betta Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and Fluval Bug Bites. (5 of #1 and 2 of #2 per day + fasting on the weekends)

You can feed the blood worms maybe once or twice a week

I also give my fish a blanched and shelled pea and fast them the next day. I feed a mix of frozen shrimp, freeze dried tubifex, two kinds of flake, and micro pellets.

You could possibly try to place it in front of it and wiggle it around a little (holding it with your finger). But once you get some hard food or food it loves already, you can mix in bloodworms with it. Keep doing that and gradually lessen the amount of other fish food, as it eats the bloodworms without knowing, it will get used to that and should eat it on the spot. Try it and if it works, I'd love to know! Hope this helped,
Lazarus :)

Never had any luck with frozen or dried blood worm with my cichlids they will eat live blood worm but even then would rather have a earth worm , my fish love earth worms but I just don’t trust feeding them most time I always get paranoid

Fish may follow species trends, but each is still an individual. My current betta will consume just about anything offered (flakes, pellets, blood worms, mysis, daphnia, etc). However, I once had one that was extremely picky and ate slowly. I had to watch him during feedings to make sure leftovers didn't sink to the bottom.

I have slow-eating betta as well; she's so frustrating to watch. I grate a frozen prawn every now and then which always goes down well if she doesn't fall asleep on her way over to it.

Interesting thread, I have a Betta which is roughly 8months old the 1st month I was trialing so many types of foods with him, fluval tropical flakes,API Betta flakes,frozen brine shrimp, spirulina flakes, frozen krill, API pellets, he didn't eat any of them at all. The only thing he eats is blood worms, so that's what I feed him every day for the last 8months or so an he loves them especially the rich red ones.

Each Betta is different. Some like x food, others like y food.

Bettas shouldn’t be fed only one food, they should have a mixed diet. I personally feed my Betta Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and Fluval Bug Bites. (5 of #1 and 2 of #2 per day + fasting on the weekends)

You can feed the blood worms maybe once or twice a week
first of all betters are all the same they prefer the blood worm to be alive and they ain't gonna turn their nose up to it and it's a loads of crap saying they should only be fed once to twice a week

If you have the budget to be buying live blood worms to feed to your Betta every day, then by all means go for it.

I think it was @Colin_T who once posted why frozen bloodworms weren't the best food for tropical fish. Something about a hard undigestible body part if I remember right. I am currently keeping only one species of fish now and they have no trouble eating anything but some fish seem to have delicate digestive systems and cannot tolerate certain things. Anyway, almost all fish will be fussy with foods they've never had before at first. I have never seen a Betta refuse frozen bloodworms either. Following advice I've read on this forum I have since fed bloodworms much less frequently.

you're a smart assl, I have posted enough times how to culture live foods please pay atension with other people on here when talking about how to culture live foods

I think it was @Colin_T who once posted why frozen bloodworms weren't the best food for tropical fish. Something about a hard undigestible body part if I remember right. I am currently keeping only one species of fish now and they have no trouble eating anything but some fish seem to have delicate digestive systems and cannot tolerate certain things. Anyway, almost all fish will be fussy with foods they've never had before at first. I have never seen a Betta refuse frozen bloodworms either. Following advice I've read on this forum I have since fed bloodworms much less frequently.
of course frozen blood worms is not the best feed it to them when it is alive

Most reactions

trending

Back