Nitrites still high, nitrates decreased

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Dwurth2

Reaction score
Help!! I am doing a fish in cycle because we are new and didnā€™t know there was another way. Anyway, my tank has been set up for about 5 weeks. Ammonia rose and fell and has been 0 For about 3 weeks now. Nitrites rose to off the chart level- have come down some, but have been at 2.0 for about 2 weeks now. Nitrates rose and were at 40, but just since I tested 2 days ago, they have dropped to 20. A week ago I did a 35% water change and changed 1 of my 2 filter cartridges, but have not done anything since then. Question is, what do I do now? I normally do a 10% water change every week and today is the day for that, but am not sure I should do it because the nitrates decreased, but my nitrites are still really high. Also, when should I change the other filter??

Don't change you filter cartridge, that's where the lions share of the bacteria the deals with ammonia and nitrite live, changing the cartridge is in effect throwing them away. The filter company wants to make more money off you.

Do you have live plants?

Water changes do no harm, unless you really mess them up, there is a saying, "The solution to pollution is dilution." this refers to water changes. Later thinking says 10% weekly isn't enough, a lot of members here will do 75% weekly changes. There are a good few threads discussing the reasons why on the boards if you care to look for them. But if Nitrites are 2, after a 10% change they'll be 1.8, after a 75% change they'll be 0.5.
You should really change your water anytime you read nitrites. Daily if needed.

What fish do you have in there? And what are you using to test?
With nitrite "off the chart" I would have expected the fish to be dead..........

When cycling with fish in the tank, whenever there is a reading of ammonia or nitrite above zero, a water change must be done to get them back down to zero. This usually means daily water changes of at least 50% until near the end of the cycle when nitrite goes up more slowly and water changes can be done less frequently.
Once ammonia and nitrite remain at zero, weekly water changes of at least 50% are recommended.

When the nitrites initially spiked, it was darker than the 5.0 reading- I have the API test kit. My 55gal tank is stocked with 2 angelfish, 2 giant danios, 2 julii cory catfish, 1 dwarf blue gourami, And 1 small bristle nose pleco. I have lost 1 cory catfish- I started with 3, but so far all the other fish seem fine- not showing signs of stress.

I guess I get confused about water changes when cycling a new tank- I read that the ammonia will rise And then fall to 0 as it turns to nitrites, then the nitrites will spike and as the nitrates increase the nitrites should fall to zero, and when both the Ammonia and nitrites stay at zero Then your tank is cycled. If I do big water changes every day, isnā€™t that like basically wiping out the good bacteria and in a way starting with a new tank again? I thought the cycle was supposed to happen naturally on its own. I guess Iā€™m confused. :/

If I do big water changes every day, isnā€™t that like basically wiping out the good bacteria and in a way starting with a new tank again?
No, the bacteria aren't found free swimming in the water column but rather coating every surface, so the pores in your filter sponge provide a great surface area for them as does your substrate.

What you describe is what happens during a fish-in cycle if you do nothing. But any ammonia or nitrite in the water is poisonous to fish and we need to keep them as low as possible during cycling by doing water changes to remove these poisons. This is why fish-in cycling is hard work.

Water changes do not harm the growing bacteria colonies because they grow on surfaces (eg filter media) not in the water. This is why filter media should not be changed, only washed in old water taken out during a water change.

Ok, thank you for clarifying that with me!
so when I start doing daily changes and get the nitrites down, and the ammonia and nitrites stay zero for a couple weeks, then my tank is considered cycled?

And if you do test for nitrate, be aware that this test will also pick up nitrite, so youd need to minus the nitrite off to get your nitrate reading

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back