Nitrite Help

CMFC47

Reaction score
Hi... Ok I was new to Fish a few months ago & found out the hard way about cycling a tank... Anyway, now that I know what's up & I have all my test kits I have a nitrite question. (I used Bio-Spira by the way) My tank is 15 gal. I have 2 cory cats, 2 platies & 4 tetras. I am testing very low ammonia almost non existent. My nitrite was also low until today. I am reading low to mediocre nitrates. This morning my nitrite was almost off the chart (high). Fish all appear to be ok. One of the tetra's was hidding this morning & not playing with his buddies but he's back with them now. Is there anything I can do to help reduce the nitrite level? Or does it just have to run it's course? I did a 25% water change this morning. Also why do I have nitrates present already if my nitrites are still high? Thanks for your help.

Water changes are a great idea! They can reduce the nitrite levels a little and new water is always good for your fish (as long as its dechlorinated). If you have nitrate while still having high nitrite levels then maybe your tank is near the end of the cycle. OR nitrates and nitrites could be in your tap water so you should test it.

Sounds like your tank is beginning to cycle, which is good news! :) However, it has a bit of the way to go. You did right doing a 25% water change - keep up small, partial water changes every day you read nitrite and keep an eye on the oxygenation of the tank (measured by your fish's behaviour). If you can get hold of some matured filter media or gravel that will help "seed" your tank with the beneficial bacteria.

The reason you are getting both nitrite and nitrate is that the bacteria are turning ammonia into nitrite (the first stage of the Nitrogen Cycle) and some of the bacteria are turning nitrite into nitrate (second stage) but they haven't reached sufficient numbers to entirely cycle the tank yet.

Don't forget at the other end of the Nitrogen Cycle (the fish waste) the amount of ammonia being pumped into your tank is now quite high, but its being processed by the first lot of beneficial bacteria into nitrite. That's why you got a nitrite spike. I'd expect in a few days you'll get a nitrate spike (if there is such a thing) when the second stage beneficial bacteria finally process all the nitrite that is being produced. After that things should start to settle down.

The nitrite phase can last rather longer than the ammonia stage so you will need to be patient, but nitrite is signfiicantly less toxic than ammonia so its not quite so scary.

sounds normal to me. If they dont begin to drop off in a few then do a 10 percent change. Also test a sample of water right out of the tap. Some times tap water is high in the nitrite nitrate department...

Alien Anna said:
keep up small, partial water changes every day you read nitrite and keep an eye on the oxygenation of the tank (measured by your fish's behaviour).
Thanks for the help you all. AA... how will I know there is an oxyenation problem? What is this? Why would it change and what would I do about it? Thanks again!

CMFC47 said:
Thanks for the help you all. AA... how will I know there is an oxyenation problem? What is this? Why would it change and what would I do about it? Thanks again!
Sorry, fish swimming near the surface that don't normally swim near the surface, gills moving rapidly, panting, fish either very still or darting abnormally, not eating.

In a cycling tank the most common reason would be nitrite, which blocks fish respiration as air pollution can in humans. Also keep an eye on the temperature because warm water dissolves less oxygen.

If you see any of these symptoms do an immediate 10-15% water change and if you haven't already, put an air-stone in.

Alien Anna said:
If you see any of these symptoms do an immediate 10-15% water change and if you haven't already, put an air-stone in.
Ok great... thanks. One of my tetras was hiding this morning & not eating but a little while after the water change he came out & seemed like his normal self. I have a bubble wand burried under the gravel that makes air bubbles. Is an air stone different?

I have a bubble wand burried under the gravel that makes air bubbles. Is an air stone different?

No, just a variation on the same theme.

As for your tetra this morning, good observation of your fish's behaviour (both normal and abnormal) is going to hold you in good stead. Experienced fish keepers can often sense that something is wrong without using any of these water tests or whatever, just by observing that something is different. Good call!

Alien Anna said:
As for your tetra this morning, good observation of your fish's behaviour (both normal and abnormal) is going to hold you in good stead. Experienced fish keepers can often sense that something is wrong without using any of these water tests or whatever, just by observing that something is different. Good call!
So do you think it's possible my 25% water change helped whatever was ailing him? It really worried me because I was looking all over the tank for him for several minutes. Finally lifted up a tank ornament & found him cowering in there. He never goes there. A few hours after the water change, he was back with his buddies. Phew! :)

So as far as controling these nitrites you reccommend small water changes daily until the levels come down?

So do you think it's possible my 25% water change helped whatever was ailing him? It really worried me because I was looking all over the tank for him for several minutes. Finally lifted up a tank ornament & found him cowering in there. He never goes there. A few hours after the water change, he was back with his buddies. Phew!

I'm sure the water change helped. Since your nitrites were high it immediately brought down the levels.

So as far as controling these nitrites you reccommend small water changes daily until the levels come down?

Little and often is usually the best policy - an overly large water change could slow down the cycling process (in theory) but a small water change once or twice a day will keep the nitrite levels down and keep the cycling process going.

Alien Anna said:
Little and often is usually the best policy - an overly large water change could slow down the cycling process (in theory) but a small water change once or twice a day will keep the nitrite levels down and keep the cycling process going.
Great! Thanks for all your help! :D

Ok an update on my fight with nitrite..... Tested water this morning, no ammonia...yea!!! Very high nitrite and pretty high nitrate. I immediately did about a 20% water change. My little tetra that was hiding yesterday is hiding again.. hmmmm???? Also for the past 2 days my pH keeps going down to about 6.6 (acidic) why does this happen & what should I do about it? The water changes seem to help the high nitries only slightly. Will my fish be ok? :S

CMFC47 said:
Ok an update on my fight with nitrite..... Tested water this morning, no ammonia...yea!!! Very high nitrite and pretty high nitrate. I immediately did about a 20% water change. My little tetra that was hiding yesterday is hiding again.. hmmmm???? Also for the past 2 days my pH keeps going down to about 6.6 (acidic) why does this happen & what should I do about it? The water changes seem to help the high nitries only slightly. Will my fish be ok? :S
It's scary cycling with fish, I know from experience but all you can do is what you are doing. The nitrite levels will peak and things will be very frightening for a while, but then it will start to come down. You can do a couple of small water changes in a day if you are worried - just try not to do too much at once and please don't forget to dechlorinate.

Put your fish on minimal rations (a pinch of food every other day) as this will reduce the amount of ammonia the fish produce. I expect you won't see any more ammonia as that part of the cycle seems to be working now, which is a relief, but nitrite will hang around for a little longer. Sadly, your tetra may not make it but you never know - they can be tougher than they look.

Has anyone around you got a pond or fish tank of any descriptions? (provided its cycled) I'm sure a pond owner wouldn't mind you having a small handful of filter floss and it would help a lot. Or some gravel from a goldfish tank (any dentists surgeries in your area? ).

Hey Nitrite update:

My tetra has not gone hiding in two days and my nitrites are coming down! YEA!!! I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks again to all who helped! :fun:

Most reactions

Back