Nitrate Problem ?

Considering the *reliability* of the Fluvals, I'd leave both on so you have a "redundant system" for when it fails :nod: If do do have raised levels though, it will help iron them down again :nod:
 
Considering the *reliability* of the Fluvals, I'd leave both on so you have a "redundant system" for when it fails :nod: If do do have raised levels though, it will help iron them down again :nod:

Hi Rabbut

You obviously have a problem with "Fluvals". My Juwel has never been reliable has the power head constantly stops and needs cleaning, or replacement. I also don't like the idea of having the filter media constantly in the water.

Should the replacement of the filter system cure the ongoing problem, then maybe I will invest in another filter systen if I need to.

I don't really understand what you mean by a "redundant systen", unless you are commenting on the expected failure of the Fluval filter?
 
Yes, besically, if one filter fails, you have a second to take up the slack. The addition of a second filter would help with Ammonia or Nitrite being raised if this was the case. No amount of filtering can help Nitriate though without dodgy resins, only more water changes and/or reduced feeding can really help cut that back...

All the best
Rabbut
 
Ok. I have now done many water changes, most of which have been in excess of 50%. I have also been running a Fluval 204 for some time, but this nitrate problem still pursists.

I was thinking of doing a complete water change but the domestic water nitrate level as now risen to about 20 from about 10, as far as I can estimate using the Hagen test kit.

Although I am led to believe this problem is not too significant, I would like to try and reduce these levels if at all possible?

Is there any chemicals available which will help or perhaps I could use rain water?

Further comments wpould be appreciated.
 
Nitrates of 50 ppm when the tap water is close to 20 ppm is not a problem. The 204 sounds like about the right size for your tank and should have a decent amount of biological filtration capacity by now. How have the remaining fish been doing? The high pH should suit the mollies fine but they also like their water fairly hard. Do you know what the local water supply is like in terms of water hardness?
 
Nitrates of 50 ppm when the tap water is close to 20 ppm is not a problem. The 204 sounds like about the right size for your tank and should have a decent amount of biological filtration capacity by now. How have the remaining fish been doing? The high pH should suit the mollies fine but they also like their water fairly hard. Do you know what the local water supply is like in terms of water hardness?

Thanks for your advice. The remaining fish appear to be doing well and I havn't lost any for a while. I don't know what the local water supply is like in terms of hardness. I will have to look into it further.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top