Nikon D40

Nope, and nor will I.
Can't autofocus with any of my current lenses.
Good camera for what it is, a cheap entry level model, but not much use if your current lenses aren't AF-S. And if I had no lenses, i'd probably be getting a Pentax K100 over a D40.

My D80 on the other hand... happy with that. :D

I got mine the other day, and was just wondering what advice anyone could give when photographing their tank.

I find the best results are when I use the white balance on auto, which seems a little strange when there is a flourescent setting as well.

Can anybody recommend a macro lens for this camera?

Here is an example using auto white balance and shutter priority:

Sand.jpg

I've got a D50 and though the Nikon lenses are the best, they also cost an arm and a leg.. There are some pretty nice Sigma lenses out there which give really nice results for a fraction of the price but can be slightly slower at focusing (in my experience) so it depends on how much you're wanting to spend. Get a prime lens, if you can afford it. The larger aperture will help to get nice, clear pics of fast moving fish and give depth of field at the same time.

Just one thing to watch out for when buying lenses for the D40, make sure you only get AF-S or AF-I lenses. Other Nikon lenses won't auto focus on the D40.

Just one thing to watch out for when buying lenses for the D40, make sure you only get AF-S or AF-I lenses. Other Nikon lenses won't auto focus on the D40.

Thanks for the advice. I did realise I was limiting myself lenswise, but I am only in need of one decent prime or telephoto lens, so it wasn`t really an issue.

Look for the pentax K100, it recieves a better image score than the D40 on most of the review sites. I really have enjoyed all my pentax cameras, have no complaints at all. I'm buying the K10D this weekend.

SLC

Dave i am amateur photographer and a design student i own a D50 and loving nikon all the way ! , i have attached an tamron 18-200mm AF Dii (cost me alot! and yes its a macro lens as well). Personally i have found tamron and nikon to be way superior than sigma.

I suggest you play around with the setting after all it is a SLR :p ! don't jsut leave in Auto mode . put it in manual mode, appeture, or shutter mode to get the best out of digital slr ;). Have a play around . Usually i take tank pictures with a tripod with a shutter delay about 1 -2 secs. ISO 400 (higher ISO means more sensitive). for fast fish shots i have the shutter speed about 1/10 with a higher ISO ... that way compensate for the faster shutter speed .

hope that helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back