Night Lighting?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So now that I have bought my BN Pleco I rarely see him since he hates light. I currently have a T8 Bulb in there with a sun bulb in there. He's in a 10 gallon and hides under the internal filter or inside the ornament. he is doing well though since I had a brown algea infestation and by the time I woke up the next day he had cleaned the whole tank. I know he is nocturnal but I am wondering if there was any cheap night lighting I can place in both my tanks to watch them but not wake them? I am considering a chep LCD light I saw at petsmart but am not sure what light is best. Any help?
 
you could try lower lighting, but you could add some more shady spots etc :)

erm, also you do know the 10gallon is far too small for hi,; but ill leave you with that mate don't want to sound as if im picking on you ^^

I think add more less light spots, then if no change, try something new, but with my old BN pleco i had a 20gallon, with highlighting vert very planted; she would rarely comeout aswell :)
 
You can use blue moonlights (LED I believe) which you can have on for a few hours a day, but not all night, fish need darkness for some of the time. BN plecs arent in my experience particularly nocturnal, sure they like it dark, but are often out during the day.

Sounds as if you havent had him long, therefore he is still adjusting to his new surroundings (and I agree I think for longterm 10g is a little small but can be done depending on stocking levels). He needs more than algae to feed on, try cucumber, courgette, sweet potato etc as they love the stuff, just cut some off, place a weight (clean spoon or similar) thru it and pop it in, he will soon come out. Also make sure he has his own cave to rest in.
 
Have only had him for a few days now. He is only in the tank with a DP and I have been watching the both of them. So far when I do see him I inspected his body and all looks fine. I have plans to re do his tank when I have some extra money but he has a few good hiding spots. I tend to keep the lights off in the 10 gallon since he is below the window and some light comes in naturaly (not much since he isnt directly in front). If things came down to it I have a 30 gallon that he can go into. I may do that sooner then later since the 30 has lots more room and hiding spots. It was kinda an experiment and to see if he would eat the algae, I want him to have a good home to though. I just hate to see my DP alone but no place carry Dp anymore (been looking for 3+ months). I also added cucumber to his tank tonight. I have it clipped to the glass and kept the lights off most of the day today. I guess I will leave him be and keep and eye out but thanks for the advice (first time with a pleco).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top