Next step after my recent losses on Penguin Tetra's due to wood issue.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am now at the point when I want to add some fish (will be added over the weekend).

Just a quick reminder on the tank and current water tests.

Planted with sand substrate Jewel Rio 240 running a Oase 350 Thermo cannister filter.
Temp = 24.8c

API Master Test kit
Ammonia - no reading
Nitrate - No reading
Nitrate - No reading.

Tetra easy Strips
GH - between 75 and 150 - hard to tell on the colour chart - but not 75 and not 150.

Information from my water supplier.

KH- 4dkh - soft water.

Been running Activated carbon in small batches since the issue - last batch to come out Thursday 03/09.

So want to have some fish in tank after loosing 12 Penguin Tetra's.

Fish I want to keep include (in the future) - Corys, Otto,s, some Tetra's ( two types) - NOTE - these re not going to be added all at once, I will take advice before I add any of these.

I am torn at the moment on to A) add a small group of fish- thought about Male Guppies - 7 or 8 or B) a single fish (open to suggestions - but maybe a Betta) to "test the water so to speak"

A picture of the tank as of now is attached.

Thoughts please.

edit on Fish I want to keep

Thank you

Attachments

• 20210831_134113 (1).jpg
    20210831_134113 (1).jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Firstly, your planting needs to grow out alot and the aquarium age at least 6 months with lots of aufwuchs for the Otto's or they will not last long.

No Betta unless by itself, they are the fish equivalent of a Jekyll & Hyde...calm and cuddly one day and a complete deranged monster at the drop of a hat. Most Betta (male and female) will tolerate tankmates for a while...could be days, weeks or months, and then they will attack without warning......especially fish with flowing tails and fins as they immediately see intruder, must attack.

Sight line blocking and sanctuaries are essential regardless of fish species since no fish likes being in company 24/7, they enjoy a break from each other and if by chance you have a bully, then the rest of the hooligans will needs places to hide and feel safe/secure

Firstly, your planting needs to grow out alot and the aquarium age at least 6 months with lots of aufwuchs for the Otto's or they will not last long.

No Betta unless by itself, they are the fish equivalent of a Jekyll & Hyde...calm and cuddly one day and a complete deranged monster at the drop of a hat. Most Betta (male and female) will tolerate tankmates for a while...could be days, weeks or months, and then they will attack without warning......especially fish with flowing tails and fins as they immediately see intruder, must attack.

Sight line blocking and sanctuaries are essential regardless of fish species since no fish likes being in company 24/7, they enjoy a break from each other and if by chance you have a bully, then the rest of the hooligans will needs places to hide and feel safe/secure

Thank you,

So your thoughts please as to the question - A single fish OR a small group of fish (I am a little nervous given the recent "wood" issue)

ATB

You could go with a nice herd of Danio, they are pretty bombproof, (unlike Tetras that can be less hardy sometimes), and will be happy to have new tankmates later on...they are quite nuts, with alot of activity (hyper-zoomies being a speciality). Usually they are top half of the aquarium but can be found pretty much anywhere, very curious and like to explore everywhere.....not overly territorial, easy going with most fish (in my aquariums they are at least)

You could start with 8 to 10 Danio with similar number of Cory...remembering that Cory reproduce like rabbits once they are comfy (I went from 6 to over 30 in less than a year)

Thank you,

So your thoughts please as to the question - A single fish OR a small group of fish (I am a little nervous given the recent "wood" issue)

ATB
A single fish is just that and you might have a good one, or a not-so good one. Whatever happens, that one fish will be your guide.
Personally, I'd go for a small group...a larger sample.
(You might've noticed my own posts asking about the hardiest, NOT expendable fish, to begin stocking a new tank with).

If you add the one fish and it pops its clogs, you won't know if there were toxins present, or that you were just unfortunate enough to get a duff fish.
If you add a group and they all pop their clogs, then you know it's the water.
There is always a risk with fishkeeping. The best we can do is to reduce those risks, best we can and it looks like you've done this.

A single fish is just that and you might have a good one, or a not-so good one. Whatever happens, that one fish will be your guide.
Personally, I'd go for a small group...a larger sample.
(You might've noticed my own posts asking about the hardiest, NOT expendable fish, to begin stocking a new tank with).

If you add the one fish and it pops its clogs, you won't know if there were toxins present, or that you were just unfortunate enough to get a duff fish.
If you add a group and they all pop their clogs, then you know it's the water.
There is always a risk with fishkeeping. The best we can do is to reduce those risks, best we can and it looks like you've done this.

Thank You Bruce:)

You could go with a nice herd of Danio, they are pretty bombproof, (unlike Tetras that can be less hardy sometimes), and will be happy to have new tankmates later on...they are quite nuts, with alot of activity (hyper-zoomies being a speciality). Usually they are top half of the aquarium but can be found pretty much anywhere, very curious and like to explore everywhere.....not overly territorial, easy going with most fish (in my aquariums they are at least)

You could start with 8 to 10 Danio with similar number of Cory...remembering that Cory reproduce like rabbits once they are comfy (I went from 6 to over 30 in less than a year)
Thank you for you time and input.

ATB

You're welcome...just please don't tell us when you are about to add fish...I can do without the resulting tension! :D
Just tell us when they're in. :p
You might, just might, find my own journal of some interest, as I'm currently setting up my second tank.

Again - thank you. Will look on your thread re. second tank whilst having a tunnock tea cake (or two) with my cup of tea.

ATB

There are a couple of crucial factors to keep in mind when starting a new tank and stock is being considered.

First, what species do you intend having when all is finished? This is more of a general than specific issue. Danios for example were mentioned in another post above, and you have the space...but they will not work with sedate fish, so if you might intend cichlids, gourami, and some other fish, you do not want danios or barbs or very active characin species because their activity level is much too intense for sedate fish. A better choice would be rasboras, or many (but not all) of the characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish). The fish mentioned in post #1 for example are basically suited to each other and this sized tank, but the actual species of tetra will matter more than having tetras per say. And some tetras will be just as stressed out as gourami if they have to contend with fish charging around the tank all day. Activity level is a very significant factor when considering fish species.

Second, when acquiring a shoaling species like any of the characins, rasboras, danios, barbs, cory catfish, rainbowfish, loaches, etc, always acquire the full intended number if possible and introduce them to the display tank at the same time. In other words, if you decide on cories, it is better to add the group of 9 or 12 or 15 or whatever together. Reason is, that shoaling fish will always be less stressed the more of them there are (they communicate via phermones) and that means they will settle in faster with less chance of problems (like ich). With some species, there may be the issue of an hierarchy, and if so, this can develop quite quickly in an aquarium, so it is even more important to add the entire intended group. And before someone asks, there will absolutely never be an issue with ammonia no matter how many fish you add if there are live plants that are fast-growers and obviously growing (floating plants, which I think I see roots of in the photo, are the best for this).

Third, always keep in mind the level in the water column that a species prefers. You want to have fish in the upper water, mid water, and substrate-level, if you can. Otherwise the tank will always look somewhat empty, which can encourage one to get more fish that may not be the best choice.

There are a couple of crucial factors to keep in mind when starting a new tank and stock is being considered.

First, what species do you intend having when all is finished? This is more of a general than specific issue. Danios for example were mentioned in another post above, and you have the space...but they will not work with sedate fish, so if you might intend cichlids, gourami, and some other fish, you do not want danios or barbs or very active characin species because their activity level is much too intense for sedate fish. A better choice would be rasboras, or many (but not all) of the characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish). The fish mentioned in post #1 for example are basically suited to each other and this sized tank, but the actual species of tetra will matter more than having tetras per say. And some tetras will be just as stressed out as gourami if they have to contend with fish charging around the tank all day. Activity level is a very significant factor when considering fish species.

Second, when acquiring a shoaling species like any of the characins, rasboras, danios, barbs, cory catfish, rainbowfish, loaches, etc, always acquire the full intended number if possible and introduce them to the display tank at the same time. In other words, if you decide on cories, it is better to add the group of 9 or 12 or 15 or whatever together. Reason is, that shoaling fish will always be less stressed the more of them there are (they communicate via phermones) and that means they will settle in faster with less chance of problems (like ich). With some species, there may be the issue of an hierarchy, and if so, this can develop quite quickly in an aquarium, so it is even more important to add the entire intended group. And before someone asks, there will absolutely never be an issue with ammonia no matter how many fish you add if there are live plants that are fast-growers and obviously growing (floating plants, which I think I see roots of in the photo, are the best for this).

Third, always keep in mind the level in the water column that a species prefers. You want to have fish in the upper water, mid water, and substrate-level, if you can. Otherwise the tank will always look somewhat empty, which can encourage one to get more fish that may not be the best choice.
Thank you for your input as always @Byron. I do not have enough knowledge (yet) to decide on the "exact" final stocking. I was looking to aim for a peaceful community tank. The idea of Cories appeals to me to begin with - and assuming the LFS have some, I will as you suggest get 12-15. Going forward I think my best bet is to ask on my next choice - Kuhli loach appeal to me as do - Tetra (rainbow), Hillstream Loach.

My water lettuce have shown some very good growth, the salvinia - not so much (to date).

ATB

Thank you for your input as always @Byron. I do not have enough knowledge (yet) to decide on the "exact" final stocking. I was looking to aim for a peaceful community tank. The idea of Cories appeals to me to begin with - and assuming the LFS have some, I will as you suggest get 12-15. Going forward I think my best bet is to ask on my next choice - Kuhli loach appeal to me as do - Tetra (rainbow), Hillstream Loach.

My water lettuce have shown some very good growth, the salvinia - not so much (to date).

ATB
So are you going for a general community, or one with a theme? (South American? SE Asian?)
@Byron makes a good point regarding stocking, suggesting you consider using all of the water, with something for around the substrate, something that'll hang around mid-water and perhaps even something for the top.

Another starting point would be your water's hardness and pH and then list all the possible fish that would thrive in that water.
Discount the ones that'd be too big, or need shoals too many and you'll probably have a nicely manageable list of fish to choose from.

So are you going for a general community, or one with a theme? (South American? SE Asian?)
@Byron makes a good point regarding stocking, suggesting you consider using all of the water, with something for around the substrate, something that'll hang around mid-water and perhaps even something for the top.

Another starting point would be your water's hardness and pH and then list all the possible fish that would thrive in that water.
Discount the ones that'd be too big, or need shoals too many and you'll probably have a nicely manageable list of fish to choose from.
General, Bruce. Current water tests were in my opening post.

ATB

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back