Newt Eggs!

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Well it appears that one of my female chinese fire bellied newts has been busy laying eggs.

My male is terrestrial; will be still have fertilized the eggs?

I've had to leave them in the tank at the minute as if I take them out there will be no plants left; there are only plastic plants as well; silly newt has effectively glued the leaves together.

How can I tell if they are fertile?

How long will they take to hatch (if they surive until I take them out the tank)? and what do I feed them?

Well it appears that one of my female chinese fire bellied newts has been busy laying eggs.

My male is terrestrial; will be still have fertilized the eggs?

I've had to leave them in the tank at the minute as if I take them out there will be no plants left; there are only plastic plants as well; silly newt has effectively glued the leaves together.

How can I tell if they are fertile?

How long will they take to hatch (if they surive until I take them out the tank)? and what do I feed them?

No idea but massive congrats!

Don't know about how to tell if they are fertile but here's a little info about other things.

They hatch in about three weeks, producing tiny black larvae with yolk sacs that feed them for a few days. Then they start feeding on daphnia, crushed fish food flakes and finely chopped worms. If you see cannibalism, separate the larvae into several smaller groups.
I got this from here. http://www.reptilechannel.com/frogs-amphibians/breeding-amphibians/breeding-fire-bellied-newts.aspx

Alessa x.

Dipsy do you have any pictures? I am intrigued. I have been wanting to get in to newts and salamanders for a while. Ive been offered alpine newts - what is the size difference between aplines and firebellied?

Dipsy do you have any pictures? I am intrigued. I have been wanting to get in to newts and salamanders for a while. Ive been offered alpine newts - what is the size difference between aplines and firebellied?

I don't know how big alpine newts get or the size difference but i know male alpine newts develop a crest along their backs during breeding season. I know a couple of facts about newts. The more common ones anyway. I used to own a pair of common newts.

Alessa x.

I think alpine newts are the same size as mine.

I have chinese fire bellied newts which are smaller than the japanese ones.

CFB = 3/4 inches JFB = 5ish inches.

I have an album of my newts on facebook if you can view them...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=107694&id=513803217&l=a9d67fbda1

I always go here for newt information. http://www.caudata.org/ I ahve a 12 year old male chinese firebelly I had always wanted to pair up with a female, but I dont have the supplies for breeding, and nobody by me has a female they want to temporarily lend to my male so he can mate with her. If someone had a female close by I would bring my male over to mate with her, then bring him back home.
carolthechinesefirebellynewt_picture-of-carol_dcda5ba6e62855d_740.jpg

I'm on caudata too, I've posted on there (if you are on there you may see too :)).

I like posting on the two forums as I get different advice and it's quite useful sometimes.

I don't have supplies for breeding too; last count was 26 eggs (and more have been laid), I think two may be rotten though, but I will check tonight again.

They appear to be fertile eggs too :(; don't quite know what to do arghhh.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back