Newby help please!!!

Fishnewb21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey there!
I need some help.. now Iā€™ve Started up fish keeping obviously.. anyway!.. so i have a 60 litre curved tank. I currently have 1 yoyo loach, 7 neon tetras, 4 rummy noses, 1 oto cat, 2 small shrimp, 4 female guppies and 7 male guppies. Now Iā€™ve obviously realised I donā€™t have enough female guppies to male ratio.. I need some advise about my tank desperately please!!! Can I fit 10 more female guppies in there to level it out or is my tank too small for anymore fish???? And my oto cat is alone will it need company as Iā€™ve read they donā€™t do well alone?? Please any advice would be massively appreciated. Please be nice though, like I said Iā€™m new to this! And I think I just got carried away with the beautiful males and having a variety of fish šŸ„ŗšŸ˜“ TIA šŸ‘šŸ¼ā™„ļø

Attachments

• 726617B1-CB2D-4DF1-AA02-A00917A5C589.jpeg
    726617B1-CB2D-4DF1-AA02-A00917A5C589.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 2E96719B-74AD-4BF1-ACEE-6F630C9D5885.jpeg
    2E96719B-74AD-4BF1-ACEE-6F630C9D5885.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 6CCC5496-5D69-4625-9089-497A9DB6925D.jpeg
    6CCC5496-5D69-4625-9089-497A9DB6925D.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 60A8CEA7-6312-453A-ABD9-F637F512BC88.jpeg
    60A8CEA7-6312-453A-ABD9-F637F512BC88.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 56
  • BB360A24-5404-4ACE-B5F5-EB865EE6BB43.jpeg
    BB360A24-5404-4ACE-B5F5-EB865EE6BB43.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 63
Please stop, slow down...and breathe.

Whilst I'll try to be nice, there's some bad news coming your way, so sorry about that.

What are the actual dimensions of the tank...I think it's already overcrowded.
In getting carried away, you've created a whole load of problems and you'll probably need to pay another visit to the fish shop, to hand some of those fish back.

With guppies, there's no such thing as a female guppies to male ratio and, if there was, it would probably be 1 male to 4-7 females. With just the one male, you'll be getting lots of baby fish soon and these will either get eaten by the Rummy Nose Tetra, or go on to overcrowd your tank still further.

Your Yoyo Loach will be stressed and will be unhappy, because Yoyo Loaches are very sociable and need to be in a group of their own kind, numbering at least 5 or 6 specimens, preferably 10 or more. (Your tank isn't big enough).
Your Neon Tetras might be alright, but your Rummy Noses need to be in a group of at least 10 and they need way more space to swim in than you're giving them.
Your Otocinclus is another fish that will be stressed...these need to be in groups of at least 6.

I guess that you haven't cycled your tank, so you won't have beneficial bacteria and your fish wastes are at risk of rising to lethal levels. Please read this about 'cycling a tank'.

Finally, all of those pretty things you've bought and placed in the tank will not help your tank and you will soon get an algae problem.

Solutions to most of these issues are available, but please understand that a little work and reading will be required on your part.

It would also help to know if you are independent, or dependent on parents and where did you buy all of the kit from.

It's not the end of the world, but it'll just take some adjusting. Your tank is pretty small. Personally, I would return the oto, loach, all neons, all rummynoses and 3 male guppies. Then buy 4-5 more female guppies. Sometimes less is more.

The "Cycling a Tank" article is important to read. You will need to do frequent water changes. Also, if your tank has a lid, I would fill your water up much higher. (Right now, your 15 gallons is more like 12 gallons.)

It'll be okay. We all make mistakes - I'm still making them.

It's not the end of the world, but it'll just take some adjusting. Your tank is pretty small. Personally, I would return the oto, loach, all neons, all rummynoses and 3 male guppies. Then buy 4-5 more female guppies. Sometimes less is more.

The "Cycling a Tank" article is important to read. You will need to do frequent water changes. Also, if your tank has a lid, I would fill your water up much higher. (Right now, your 15 gallons is more like 12 gallons.)

You could probably get away with keeping the oto, but if it's not cycled, then return it. I probably would return half the males and keep the ratio like that. Also welcome to the forum :hi:, hope other ppl aren't too mean.

Hi there! My first bit of advice is to know your water parameters...(besides cycling your tank and understanding the nitrogen cycle)
So find out if you have hard or soft water....guppies live in hard water, tetras live in soft water. Once you know what water you have you can then research what fish are suitable and which are your favourites that you'd like to keep. The loach and oto ought to go back really because as mentioned already they need to live in groups and you don't have enough space unfortunately... the rummynose need lots of space as they're very active and in my opinion are not a beginner fish, they're a little sensitive, so they may need to go back too. Don't beat yourself up, most of us started the same way šŸ˜¬šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø thankfully we've made all the mistakes so you don't have to! Get back to us so we can talk you through next steps if your tanks not cycled

Please stop, slow down...and breathe.

Whilst I'll try to be nice, there's some bad news coming your way, so sorry about that.

What are the actual dimensions of the tank...I think it's already overcrowded.
In getting carried away, you've created a whole load of problems and you'll probably need to pay another visit to the fish shop, to hand some of those fish back.

With guppies, there's no such thing as a female guppies to male ratio and, if there was, it would probably be 1 male to 4-7 females. With just the one male, you'll be getting lots of baby fish soon and these will either get eaten by the Rummy Nose Tetra, or go on to overcrowd your tank still further.

Your Yoyo Loach will be stressed and will be unhappy, because Yoyo Loaches are very sociable and need to be in a group of their own kind, numbering at least 5 or 6 specimens, preferably 10 or more. (Your tank isn't big enough).
Your Neon Tetras might be alright, but your Rummy Noses need to be in a group of at least 10 and they need way more space to swim in than you're giving them.
Your Otocinclus is another fish that will be stressed...these need to be in groups of at least 6.

I guess that you haven't cycled your tank, so you won't have beneficial bacteria and your fish wastes are at risk of rising to lethal levels. Please read this about 'cycling a tank'.

Finally, all of those pretty things you've bought and placed in the tank will not help your tank and you will soon get an algae problem.

Solutions to most of these issues are available, but please understand that a little work and reading will be required on your part.

It would also help to know if you are independent, or dependent on parents and where did you buy all of the kit from.
Can you private message me please

Hi there! My first bit of advice is to know your water parameters...(besides cycling your tank and understanding the nitrogen cycle)
So find out if you have hard or soft water....guppies live in hard water, tetras live in soft water. Once you know what water you have you can then research what fish are suitable and which are your favourites that you'd like to keep. The loach and oto ought to go back really because as mentioned already they need to live in groups and you don't have enough space unfortunately... the rummynose need lots of space as they're very active and in my opinion are not a beginner fish, they're a little sensitive, so they may need to go back too. Don't beat yourself up, most of us started the same way šŸ˜¬šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø thankfully we've made all the mistakes so you don't have to! Get back to us so we can talk you through next steps if your tanks not cycledc
So find out if you have hard or soft water....guppies live in hard water, tetras live in soft water. Once you know what water you have you can then research what fish are suitable and which are your favourites that you'd like to keep. The loach and oto ought to go back really because as mentioned already they need to live in groups and you don't have enough space unfortunately... the rummynose need lots of space as they're very active and in my opinion are not a beginner fish, they're a little sensitive, so they may need to go back too. Don't beat yourself up, most of us started the same way šŸ˜¬šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø thankfully we've made all the mistakes so you don't have to! Get back to us so we can talk you through next steps if your tanks not cycled
can you private me please

Can you private message me please x

Can you private message me please x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back