Newbie with question about African dwarf frog.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

D

Desertgrl

Hi - I'm a newbie. My name is Karin and we have a 60-gallon freshwater aquarium full of fish and a couple frogs. One of the frogs is bloated, although it is swimming around and eating just fine. I feel very ignorant, but, it seems like it is pregnant or something is very, very wrong. Can someone please advise? Thank you! ????

Hi Desergrl, i don't know much about african dwarf frogs but i think it is bloated like u said. I have heard that feeding fish cooked peas will help the fish pass the poo, not sure if it works with adf (african dwarf frogs) but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. U might want to post your question about your frog in invertebrates, amphibians and aquatic reptiles forum for a better answer to your question.

:hi: to TFF

It could be dropsy, caused by bacteria or a metabilism disorder.

Dropsy appears as bloating and soft dermal abnormalities around the abdominal region.

What do you feed your dwarfs?
How long have you had them?

Thank you for the responses. The frogs eat what the tetras eat - flakes, dried and frozen bloodworms, and frozen veggie drops. That frog did die :(, so I'm assuming he did have that disease. Thanks for the welcome! I feel this is a great group to join.

Adfs do better in a species only tank. alot of sinking foods meant for fish are hard for frogs to digest. plus the activity of the fish freak the frogs out. they need lots of hiding places. also 60 gallons is probably tall for adf's as they need to resurface for air and with all the fish activity they might be cautious to go up for air, adf's are quite timid. i keep six in a 20 gallon tank with just snails and shrimp. i feed them frozen blood worms and specialized sinking frog food, that is really small and easily digested.

i also have a pure blue actinic light becasue the frogs are nocturnal and they are sensitive to bright lights. the actinic light is great with the dark substrate and they are out most of the time swimming around where as with a regular day light and fish the frogs are normally hiding.

if your going to try frogs again i'd suggest getting a species only tank where their specialized needs can be met. :nod:

Most reactions

Back