African Dwarf Frog - odd atomaxh

VickyBunny

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to keeping ADFs, 3 weeks in, established tank. I've fed them this evening and noticed the stomach of this frog. What is going on? Bloat, overfeeding, impaction? It's eating fine, swimming fine, etc, but it's really concerned me.

Temp is fine, etc. I feed them on frozen mysis shrimp once a day.

(I know that seems like a lot of food, but I have 5 ADFs and I'd literally just put the food out)

Attachments

• 20230729_221800.jpg
    20230729_221800.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230729_221750.jpg
    20230729_221750.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 16
Not sure about the lump. It could be food or something else. But the frog has cloudy eyes and looks a bit white and this usually indicates poor water quality. Check the water and do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Not seen this kind of lump on an ADF before, it could be food or possibly he's ingested a stone? (Not sure what kind of substrate you have, if it's not gravel then ignore). You could try not feeding for a day and see if there's any change. Would also agree with the water changes.

Not sure about the lump. It could be food or something else. But the frog has cloudy eyes and looks a bit white and this usually indicates poor water quality. Check the water and do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Sorry about any odd posts which have appeared, really struggling with using this site on my phone, it puts my text in the middle of replies and adds loads and loads of space! I did have an ammonia/NO2/NO3 spike last week, I check my levels every 3 days. I did a change and got it level. Will the frog recover? :(

If the water quality is causing the cloudy eyes then that should recover. However, I don't think poor water quality would cause a lump in the belly.

You could contact a zoo or museum and see if they have a herpetology department. If they do, send them a picture of the frog and see if they have any ideas.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back