Newbie To Forum

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Steiffbear

Reaction score
Hello There

This is my first post on a forum (though I read many!)

I have a community tank (125 litres) tropical, it's been set up for 11 months. I've recently lost 1 male and 1 female guppy and 1 platy from the same symptons. I have another platy and a guppy also showing signs of illness.

Basically, they have become very thin very quickly, their tail fins have been less 'flared' out but they are still eating and swimming around the tank. All other fish are fine these are;

5 blue neon tetra
4 black neon tetra
2 dalmation mollies
1 pleco
1 pakistani loach
1 male siamese fighter
1 female siamese fighter
4 various coloured platy

I went to the pet store today who have suggested my fish have a type of bacteria/fin rot which affects their internal organs (hense the weight loss) and advised me to try using a treatment over 3 days.

If anyone else experienced this and can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to lose anymore fish :(

Are they showing any other signs? Flicking? Rubbing? Enflamed anus?

I'd be inclined to think it could be either intenstinal worms or and internal parasite/bacteria. Are you in the UK or US?

If there is no flicking and no enflamed anus/sign of worms then I'd go for an internal bacteria medication.

However don't just take my word for it, I'm no disease expert. I'd have thought Wilder would be along later to give her opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK.

The ill fish haven't shown any of the other signs you mention. The Platy which died this morning spent most of yesterday hiding low down in the tank but still swam up to eat with the others. I'm hoping the medication the store recommended will save the two which are ill. Both are currently swimming well but just look thin. The guppy does look slightly bent though which I'm sure it wasn't.

Its called - eSHA 2000 Fungus, Finrot and Bacteria Treatment (Wide Range Action)

It contains per ml - Ethacridine lactate 6.3 mg, Copper Sulphate 8.0 mg, Proflavine Hemisulphate 1 mg

(All of which means nothing to me!)

I'm still not entirely sold on idea of esha 2000, seems a little too far fetched and snake oily for my liking. However it's worth a go now you've got it. If it does do all the things it says it does then it should sort your problems out.

Just be aware if you have any shrimp or snails (although there weren't any in the stock list you gave), then copper is toxic to them so they'll need a new home for awhile.

Oh and I just noticed a couple of things about your stock list (I was checking for any incompatabilities to the medication).

Male and female fighters shouldn't really be kept together. Recently as the strains have been developed for colour rather than fighting (hence the name). More people are able to keep males and females together (although males and males are still 100% impossible), it's still very risky. Personally I wouldn't do it at all myself cause it's just not worth the possible hassle, however I just wanted to mention it so you were aware that either of them could easily turn on eachother at any point.

And the pleco...? Do you know what type? If it's just an 'algae eater' pleco then it could well be a common/gibbiceps pleco. These grow huge! So it's worth id'ing yours if you haven't already as neither a common or gibbiceps would be suitable in your tank once it's past the 6" (ish) mark...

Thank you, I'll try the medication and see how they get on.

My Siamese fighters are both pretty docile - the male in particular is happy just to slouch around on the gravel, plants, ornaments - whatever takes his fancy. He's great to watch at feeding time acting like a puppy dog taking food off and hiding it (very funny) But I have been told before that they can be problematic in a community tank and have been considering getting a smallish second tank just to house him.

The pleco - I'm afraid I do not know what type, it's mainly darker brown speckled (if that helps). Again, I have heard these can grow very large. I've had it about 9 months and I'm not convinced it's grown an awful lot, if at all, in that time.

If I have any concerns its for the loach - as that one seems to spend lots of time chasing all the other fish in the tank.

I'm in the process of ordering a new 200 litre tank (as a replacement for mine) and want to ensure that fish i transfer and new fish i purchase are all compatible in the future. As I say I've only been keeping tropical fish for 11 months and have already learnt loads. Now i'm expanding my hobby I want to get it right.

Pakistani (Yoyo) loaches are meant to be kept in groups. Seeing as you're upgrading then I'd suggest you get at least 3 more or rehome the one you have. He'll be much happier (and less inclined to chase other fish), if he's in a group of his own species. :)
The fact he's on his own is probably the reason he's causing a bit of trouble at the moment.

Gibbiceps
Link to gibbieps pleco pic

Common pleco
Link to common pleco pic

Bristlenose pleco
Link to bristlenose pic

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'll take your advice and purchase 3 more when my new tank is ready for fish.

The Pleco doesn't look like the ones in the photos you sent. It's round, flat and has a one inch stripy tail. I took a photo but can't work out how to attach it.

Thank you - Everyone seems very friendly and helpful :)

You can't attach on the forum. You'd have to upload to something like photobucket.com or imageshack and then post the link here. :)

Hmmm... round, flat and a one inch stripey tail.... Sounds alot like an ornamental pleco rather than a 'bog standard'. Look forwards to seeing the picture. :)
Edit: Actually it sounds a bit like a chinese hill stream loach.

Oh and just a note (incase you don't know). Once the new tank arrives and is set up then you can move all your media from the 125 to the new tank (placing it alongside the brand new media). And then move all the fish over, and you wont need to cycle it as you'll have moved all the bacteria over with the fish. Then in a couple of weeks or so (if you wanted to run the 125 aswell... or if you're selling it). You should be able to start removing the 125's media from the new tank and back into the old one.

If you moved 1/3 of it back then you could either fishless cycle or fish-in cycle the tank without a problem. (So long as you didn't put too many fish in). Then keep removing the 125's media from the 200l tank over the next few days. Check the water levels in each and you should hopefully have two cycled tanks.

If you're just selling the 125 then obviously you don't need to be so careful with the media, but just don't take it out of the 200l too fast, do it bit by bit to make sure the colonies on the 200's media are keeping up.

Hope that made sense... lol.

It did make sense - thanks!

So, I don't need to cycle the new tank? Excellent.

I was under the impression (from the staff in the store where I ordered it) that it was going to take me about 4 months to prepare the water then move my fish over just a few at a time. I'm planning to sell the 125l if I can (would like to keep both but space won't allow that)by moving everything over will save me lots of room (and arguments at home probably!!)

It is the Chinese Hill Stream Loach - the picture online was just the same as mine. I'm so pleased I know what it is now.

Will it grow to a hugh size?

Well think of it this way...

All your bacteria (or well 99.9%) that are keeping the tank cycled are in the media in your filter. The number of bacteria you will have atm (presuming you're fully cycled, which you are likely to be after 11months), are the number needed to keeping ammonia + nitrites at 0 with the number/size/feeeding schedule etc of the fish you have now.

When you get the new tank, dechlor the water and get it up to temp... give it a little while to settle, let all the CO2 gas out, with the filter running.
Then transfer all of the media from the 125 over to the 200's filter (or as much as you can physically fit), and then transfer the fish STRAIGHT after.

Have a test kit to hand if you don't already (API master test kit is very good). And check ammonia and nitrite for the week after the move. You're likely to see a couple of blips but these should rectify themselves within a few hours each time. Only worry if you have spikes lasting more than a few hours and above the safe level.
But once they're settled at 0 for ammonia and nitrite, start removing the 125's media from the 200l a bit at a time.
Test the day after you've removed some to make sure the bacteria have transferred/made up the difference and you should be completely done within 2 weeks of moving the fish. :)

Chinese hill stream loaches don't grow big at all tbh.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_hillstream.php

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/beaufortia-kweichowensis

The only thing that is worth mentioning is that they do prefer cooler water (20-23C) and fast flow but should do find in a normal community set-up. :)

This is fantastic news thank you. You've been very helpful today - I've learnt lots (so much to learn isn't there?) My 125l has really good water readings (0 ammonia and nitrite) I have a test kit for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate which i use regularly so I feel confident to continue that.

I'm so looking forward to having a bigger tank (in next couple of weeks) and increasing stock which is why I've been so worried about the illness.

sorry to keep asking questions but;

How quickly should my fish improve/be better? I don't want to transfer any illness to the new tank. Also, once my fish etc are all settled into their new home and water quality is good how soon can I add additional fish? which would be best to add first?

Most reactions

Back