Newbie Seeks Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquabot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I visited 'Pets at Home' today and am looking to buy a 40Litre panoramic aquarium for tropical fish.  I have never owned tropical fish before so would really appreciate some tips from experienced fish owners.

I would like to introduce lots of colour to the tank but I am aware I will need to restrict numbers in a 40 Litre as well as ensuring compatability within the aquarium.

Which tropical fish would be good to start with and how many could I introduce over a few weeks?

Many thanks

welcomeani.gif
 Aquabot

I know that Parornama tank at P@H store, I nearly bought one myself when I was starting out in the hobby.
Went for the Fluval Roma 90 instead, found that the bigger tank you can get the better. Especially for beginners.

Before even considering getting any fish, you will need to cycle your tank first. Have a read of this, that will help explain about cycling and why.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Then, while the tanks up and running during cycling, cycling typically takes between 4 to 8 weeks, in meantime you can do some research into what types of fish you would like, then post your preferences and we'll be more than happy to advise.

depending how much variety you are looking for guppy's are an excellent addition to any aquarium with so many different variety's for sale and being a nice size these are ideal and do not necessarily need to shoal so you don't need to keep up the numbers for there welfare. However with guppys if you are having males and females the ratio should be at least 3:2 females to males to ensure your males are not harassing the females.

Thanks for the tip about m/f ratio,

I will go and take at look at the guppies at our local aquatics' store  
fish.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back