April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CraiginWales

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I'm currently cycling a 5ft 120G tank for a New World semi-aggressive tank.
I have no experience in American Cichlids & Im really stuck for stocking ideas.
Aquascape will be sand, bogwood, rocks, caves & fixed fake plants.
Have decided on a Severum & Electric Blue Jack Dempsey or/and Acaras. As for anything else I'm stuck! Would like a pleco', some shoaling fish, maybe some cats.
Help please! My background is in Africans & Im a bit overwhelmed. If this was your tank what would you have? Many thanks

I would do a school of large tetras or rainbows. Maybe even swordtails.

I would do a school of large tetras or rainbows. Maybe even swordtails.
Tetras had never occurred to me, thanks for that. I'm really stuck for a Pleco. I find a really beautiful looking one & then find that it's too small or not suited in some way. Any suggestions? Thanks

I keep Columbian tetras with my cichlids. I don't know much about plecos. I feel like their bio load outweighs any advantages but pretty much any pleco should be ok. The common pleco gets big so I would skip it.

Hi Craig!

First, what are your water parameters? There are different cichlids with different requirements. Roughly one can divide them in two groups: 1) the south american "rainforest"-cichlids (e.g. Severum and Acara), which need soft water and can be combined with many tetras and cat fish and 2) the central american cichlids (e.g. Jack Dempsey), which need harder water, are more aggressive and are usually combined with swordtails, if at all.

So first you should find out what kind of water you can offer.

Aaah! Thank you!
I'm currently cycling but tap water is slightly acidic, about 6.5 & soft. I was under the impression that was ideal for all American setups.
So EBJD's are out & Acaras, Severums are in. I've seen some catfish I'd like called Flagtails (could be wrong with the name!). Have given up on Pleco's because of the bio mass Jrw mentioned! As for a shoaling species, I was looking at Dwarf Neon Rainbows. How do you think that sounds? Thanks

Aaah! Thank you!
I'm currently cycling but tap water is slightly acidic, about 6.5 & soft. I was under the impression that was ideal for all American setups.
So EBJD's are out & Acaras, Severums are in. I've seen some catfish I'd like called Flagtails (could be wrong with the name!). Have given up on Pleco's because of the bio mass Jrw mentioned! As for a shoaling species, I was looking at Dwarf Neon Rainbows. How do you think that sounds? Thanks
Also, I've been told to keep 3 Severums as youngsters for their security & then sell off the ones I don't want as they grow larger. Do they need to be siblings or will different types - Gold, Red Spotted etc achieve the same goal.
How many adult Acaras could I keep & again do they have to be the same type. I like the Electric Blue & the Blue. Thanks

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but cichlids can adjust to a wide range of water parameters. The ones you by in the stores are farm raised so soft/hard water is not as important as if it was a wild caught fish. The most important thing would be to keep the parameters constant and don't try changing it. That will just become a constant battle. I've been keeping American cichlids for 20 years and haven't had a problem putting central and South America cichlids together in soft water.

In a 5ft you should be able to keep 2 severums and 2 acaras easily. Both are usually peaceful. You can mix the different types if you want

Thanks for that! What about EBJD's. They're less aggressive than regular JD's I've read. As adults I'd like 1 Severum, 2 Acaras & 1 EBJD. Is that viable with the cat's & rainbow's?

I would probably do one of each and a big school of large rainbows or whatever kind of dithers you want. But you could try 2 acaras. Really will depend on the personality of the fish. Just have a back plan ready. As I'm sure you know it's trial and error with cichlids. I don't have any experience with ebjds but I've read they are less aggressive and smaller. I would be worried about the acaras pairing and getting aggressive and the ebjd not backing down and killing the acaras. Most the JD's I've had were not aggressive but were just mean and would not back down from a fight. They wouldn't ever start the fight though

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but cichlids can adjust to a wide range of water parameters. The ones you by in the stores are farm raised so soft/hard water is not as important as if it was a wild caught fish.
Yes, I disagree with that :) You generalize too much. There are cichlids which certainly can live well in a wide range, but others cannot. Also, there is a difference between conditions they can survive and conditions which are optimal. Suboptimal conditions are not always obvious, but will shorten the lifespan of your fish.

@CraiginWales
Rainbow fish are not a good choice for soft water. They prefer hard water too.

Hi!

I'd personally recommend Apistogrammas, as they are my favourite. They're incredibly colourful and are dwarf cichlids so stay small meaning you could get a pair for the 120G and hopefully get them to breed.

There are many different species. Apistogramma cacatuoides are one of the most popular ones as they are the easy to keep but I think the best looking are Apistogramma agassizii.

Good luck!

Mmm!! Was kind of counting on Rainbows as dithers. No problems with buffering the water etc, used to that from keeping Africans but then it wouldn't be suitable for most of the American cichlids! :( Is there a happy medium to be reached if increasing hardness or could someone suggest another schooling fish species? Thanks. :)

What about Columbian tetras?You mentioned drawf neon rainbows before and the Columbians look a lot like them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back