New Wilds

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sde09001

Reaction score
So after the ordeal with buying some wild splendens and thinking they were actually imbellis I'm taking the plunge again. I went to a LFS about 40 mins away and pic up what I was told was a mated pair of mahachai. Well now I'm not so sure. I will get pics up asap but they are both extremely shy (the female will come out and watch me but as soon as I move its darting back into the plants, and I've only seen the male once since I put them into the tank). My doubt comes from the male. He's never been fully colored up but he has pale red and copper for colors from what I can tell, but the part that makes me doubt he's mahachai is the fact i saw spots on his tail fin. I looked it up and it said that was a trait exclusive to smaragdina, but I've also seen pictures of mahachai with the same spots on the tail. I'm pretty sure the female is a mahachai (light golden brown color with black stripes and light red fins with irredesence in them and a pointed tail). I read that smaragdina are very aggressive and will attack other species of betta, but this guy has been living with the girl for over a month now (was at the store for over a month, just picked them up yesterday)and no aggression or ripped fins on either one of them. Do you think I have two different species or do I really have a pair of mahachai? Again I'll post pictures as soon as I can but they are very very shy.

Even if you have smaragdina instead of malachai, you have one of the harder to find bettas. Why not just enjoy them?

Most reactions

Back