New to tropical fish - seeking some advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Yeh looks like a dried almond leaf, your daughter os very wise! Looking forward to seeing it stocked theres going to be some very happy fish living in there!
Yes, Iā€™m enjoying our father daughter project :) Learnt lots from her.
Fingers crossed the plants and water are established by next week then will order the fish.

Question about fish stocking, again :) Below is the fish stock which we would like to have in the tank.
Based on 1 cm of fish per litre rule they just about fit (I've slightly over estimated the adult sizes).
There would also be a Nerrite snail and some cherry shrimpsin the tank.

What do you guys think? Should I reduce the quantities to 10 each?
Also, would it definitely be a bad idea to stock all of them at once?
What would you recommend to stock during the first go?

1593640716644.png

I had to go back to find the GH, and it seems to have been decided as being 14 dGH. If this is correct, I would suggest a different cory than the pygmy, which should have softer water. The Ember Tetra might have a similar issue. The cardinal tetra less so if you obtain commercial-raised fish which I believe are common in Europe (including UK I would assume). This is a 38g tank, so there is room for some of the larger species that will have less issue with the GH.

A word on 1 cm per litre or similar rules. They can be a very basic guide, but they do not apply across the board; three 1 cm fish will have less impact than one 3 cm fish in three liters of water. But even this is not really checking the boxes. First issue is the impact of fish on the biological system; many worry about fish mass to water volume, and assume that is all there is, but that is actually the least important factor. When dealing with shoaling fish, like cardinal tetras, the more there are in the group the more settled and less stressed they will be. So a group of eight will have marginally less impact than would a group of four. That's one factor. Another is swimming activity; sedate fish like cardinals do not swim actively, compared to say Zebra Danios. So from this aspect alone, one can have more cardinal tetras than one could Zebra danios, which are roughly equal in "mass," in any given tank. A third factor is the combination of species; if there is one species present that is not "compatible" in every sense with the others, the others will be "on edge" as it were, and this again impacts the system more than if the species are compatible. And "compatible" includes not just being peaceful, but how the fish interact within the species and with other species.

I had to go back to find the GH, and it seems to have been decided as being 14 dGH. If this is correct, I would suggest a different cory than the pygmy, which should have softer water. The Ember Tetra might have a similar issue. The cardinal tetra less so if you obtain commercial-raised fish which I believe are common in Europe (including UK I would assume). This is a 38g tank, so there is room for some of the larger species that will have less issue with the GH.

A word on 1 cm per litre or similar rules. They can be a very basic guide, but they do not apply across the board; three 1 cm fish will have less impact than one 3 cm fish in three liters of water. But even this is not really checking the boxes. First issue is the impact of fish on the biological system; many worry about fish mass to water volume, and assume that is all there is, but that is actually the least important factor. When dealing with shoaling fish, like cardinal tetras, the more there are in the group the more settled and less stressed they will be. So a group of eight will have marginally less impact than would a group of four. That's one factor. Another is swimming activity; sedate fish like cardinals do not swim actively, compared to say Zebra Danios. So from this aspect alone, one can have more cardinal tetras than one could Zebra danios, which are roughly equal in "mass," in any given tank. A third factor is the combination of species; if there is one species present that is not "compatible" in every sense with the others, the others will be "on edge" as it were, and this again impacts the system more than if the species are compatible. And "compatible" includes not just being peaceful, but how the fish interact within the species and with other species.

Very helpful as usual, thanks @Byron.

I've found a very good website to view information of different fishes (animal-world.com).
I think I've decided to go with Albino Corys (Corydoras Paleatus) as they seem very hardy and doesn't like to munch on tiny shrimps ;)

Also planning to change cardinals to neons as they are more hardy.

Both corys and tetras play nice together. I think I'll start with 15 neons and about 6-8 albino corys.
If they settle well I might add other species later on.
My daughter might transfer 2-3 of her shrimps to the new tank tomorrow or Friday to kick start the cycle.

I've found a very good website to view information of different fishes (animal-world.com).
I think I've decided to go with Albino Corys (Corydoras Paleatus) as they seem very hardy and doesn't like to munch on tiny shrimps ;)

Both corys and tetras play nice together. I think I'll start with 15 neons and about 6-8 albino corys.
My daughter might transfer 2-3 of her shrimps to the new tank tomorrow or Friday to kick start the cycle.
You should add shrimps last, they should never be added to a new tank, especially an upcycled one

Oh, didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up!
Any reason why?
They are extra sensitive to changes in nitrites and nitrates and do best in a tank with established biofilm etc :)

You're welcome.

As for Animal-World, use it to look at fish but not necessarily pay attention to the data on the species. I just did a quick search of one fish and found some misinformation, or more accurately misleading information, so once you have a fish you like, look it up on Seriously Fish for accurate data.

All cories will readily eat any shrimp they can fit into their mouths, so that means any babies. Adult shrimp may be safe from them, depending upon size. This is much the same for any aquarium fish because in their respective habitats, crustaceans are often part of their diet.

Gone for hardy beginner fish like Neon Tetras (x15) and Pepper Corys (x8) to start with.
Nervous and excited at same time!

Can anyone recommend a decent LED aquarium light? I currently run a 20W plugged into a smart plug. It only has 2 colours which is changed by a manual switch - white and blue.
I currently leave it on white and turn it on around 10 and off around 11PM at night (is this too late?). I also turn the light off for 4 hours in the afternoon.
This is mainly for power conservation and also the fact that it gets a bit hot. Perhaps I should leave it turned on for 12 hours? So something like from 10-10? Would like the light on at night to be able to enjoy the tank as a family.

I'm thinking of perhaps upgrading into something like in the link below where it has more smart functions, like gradual light ambience to mimick day night cycle.
What are your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082CVJXS3/?tag=

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Didnā€™t realise Corys like to swim so high in the tank. Always thought they are mostly at the bottom.
The tetras on other hand seem to prefer hiding at the bottom on the tank in the plants.
Wonder if I should turn the flow down a bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back