New to tropical fish - seeking some advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My filter pipes are transparent and during the last few days noticed that they got really dirty. Lots of green stuff especially on the output pipe. Perhaps it’s worth quick maintenance.

According to the manufacturer of my filter (Aqua One Ocellaris 850) the recommendation is to change the top wool mechanical filter every 4-6 weeks.
You can use something like this for cleaning the hoses https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088K3D4BZ/?tag=
No harm in replacing the wool as most of your filter media will remain unchanged. I swapped mine for a piece of sponge but wool will probably remove more of the fine particles. Don't buy the overpriced replacement pads, you can buy the floss by the roll or in a bag.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The API QuickStart is undoubtedly part of the problem, maybe the only problem, with the ammonia. Never use these products in planted tanks. They are intended to function as bacteria "seeding" for filters, but with plants this is counter-productive. There has been evidence from other threads that ammonia increases with some of these do occur. The 70% water change just done should have removed some of this. I would test ammonia now and let us know the result. This test is important also to be able to compare and assess what occurs before tomorrow's test.

The Ammo Lock should not have "caused" ammonia, but here again we are adding yet another chemical to the mix, and it may have consequences. Here again, the W/C should have removed much of it. This product changes ammonia into ammonium which is relatively harmless, but both ammonia and ammonium test as "ammonia" with most test kits, certainly the API.

The Fluval Water Conditioner detoxifies chloramine, and if chloramine is present in your tap water (do they add this, as well as or in place of chlorine?) it separates out and ammonia will show up in tests. This conditioner also does things I don't like, such as "Formulated with pure herbal extracts, it also reduces fish stress and protects scales and fins from minor scrapes and cuts," and "Coats delicate scales and fins to protect against minor abrasions." I'd like to know what the herbal extracts are, they won't say; some products use aloe vera which can cause damage to fish gills over time. And this obsession with "coating fish" is nonsense. Switch to the API Tap Water Conditioner when you can, it is better.

On the filter, again, just keep it clean. It is not part of this issue, or at any rate, I don't see how it could be.

Attached is my media setup. I will be replacing the wool and adding the small bag of activated carbon on top of the bottom sintered glass.
I know this is what the manufacturer recommends but personally it looks wrong to me. Flow of water goes up through the baskets back into the tank. Ideally mechanical filtration should be taken care of first, so:
coarse foam > medium foam > poly wool
And then bio media in the remaining trays. No need for carbon.

But, agreed, filter isnt the issue here at all

@Byron : Apologies for late reply, weather is cracking here in the UK so we are having a BBQ :)

Just tested for ammonia and I think it’s between 1 and 2ppm. Definitely lighter green compared to earlier today.

I guess I would do daily 70% water changes until the ammonia level goes down. Prime should arrive tomorrow so I’ll use that instead to condition the water.

Attachments

• C5ACA670-9F66-4D37-A8FB-7923041E49E5.jpeg
    C5ACA670-9F66-4D37-A8FB-7923041E49E5.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 45
@Byron : Apologies for late reply, weather is cracking here in the UK so we are having a BBQ :)

Just tested for ammonia and I think it’s between 1 and 2ppm. Definitely lighter green compared to earlier today.

I guess I would do daily 70% water changes until the ammonia level goes down. Prime should arrive tomorrow so I’ll use that instead to condition the water.

Yes, daily W/C. Prime is OK here, but once it is used up, change to API Tap Water Conditioner, it is a better product in most situations.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back