New to the forum but not altogther new to fish keeping.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AlanJB

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Alan and I live on the Greater London/Herts border.

So like everything else Tropical fish keeping has changed since I last kept them (15 years or so back) I have taken the plunge again after losing my wife early last year and i'm starting to think I have made a mistake already. I have purchased a 28 litre Aqua one tank and I have it set up and cycling (I hope) Luckily I have a neighbour who has a well established and healthy tank and he has given me a strip of filter media from his tank which I have combined with the new media in my tank in order to kick start the cycling process. I'm already regretting making this purchase as it seems looking through all your very knowledgable views and opinions in these forums that small tanks are quite difficult to get the balance right and to keep them running smoothly. I'm actually quite worried now. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot ! Should I get a ph and amonia testing kit ? I have tested for nitrate and its coming back at 0.25. I have no live plants or fish stock in the tank at the moment. I was hoping to put some Neon or Cardinal tetra's in my tank but that is a very bad idea ! Suggestions on stock, plants and maintainence all appreciated. Thank you. I will keep reading the forums !!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Should I get a ph and amonia testing kit ?
Yes, I recommend getting both. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit will provide you with over 800 individual tests and will test for pH, High range pH, Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

We also need to know the pH, GH, and KH of your water, to provide you with viable stocking suggestions.

Welcome to the Forum!! :hi: :hi:

And yes, small Tank is considered really hard to balance, Water parameter can drastically change in sort time. Water temperature will have a hard time to be consistent, you should always have an ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kit. They're so pricey (not in my place, unfortunately). But really worth it and can be used for long term. About stocking idea, we need your water info like KH & GH.

Hello and welcome to the forum, :fish::hi::fish: You have a very small tank at about 7.4 gallons. Small tanks like this are good for shrimp, snails and single fish like a betta. Depending on the hardness of your water maybe a nano fish may work. For most other fish a small tank like that is like living in a closet. (sorry)

Welcome to the forum!

I'm new too, the guys are super knowledgeable and I don't think theres an question these guys can't answer! It helps that you're neighbour has knowledge too, always handy to have someone close by :)

:fish:Again welcome to the forum, I can't wait to see your tank up and running! :fish:

Welcome! I have a number of 5 gallon tanks but it did take longer to get them established and they do house bettas. I have (8) 5G, (1) 6.5G, (4) 10G, (2) 20G long, a 45G , 55G, 75G and a garden pond. The 75G is easier to clean than the 5G’s. Just longer to empty and fill. I am currently stocking my 55G with only neon tetras and cories. I love the neons but they are weaker than cardinal tetras. If you want a beautiful and healthy tetra, look into the glo light tetras. Mine are going on 2 years old and hardy as ever. Look forward to seeing you around! :) :fish::hi::fish:

Welcome. I was terrified when I got my first small tank (54l) but the basics are the same. The key to stability is regular large water changes (i.e 75% per week) , and this is so much easier in a small tank.

Your water is hard - I don't need to ask :). The tank size does somewhat limit you. Cherry shrimp would be a great option. For fish you could consider Celestial Pearl Danio (at least 10) or a small group of male endlers (and only males). Both of these will be fine in addition to cherry shrimp. Of course there are other choices but your water is really too hard for bettas to thrive. If you do opt for fish it really needs to be a single species.

I am assuming your tank is 41 x 38 x 26cm. If its a cube that changes things a bit as there won't be enough swimming space for the species I mentioned.

London/Herts borders? Same here.
Water providers website (affinity) says hardness is 18dh but my test kit said 20dh fresh from the tap. I’m actually hoping the test took so long that I miscounted! 1 drop-shake-inspect-no change gets a tad repetitive.
Started fishless cycle today. I’ve left a tap water sample sitting and will test tomorrow after 24 hrs for a more accurate reading.

Ok, I have my master test kit. When should i start testing ? immediatly ??
Thanks guys/gals !!

Test immediately so if you find something not right you can do something about it.
Ammonia and nitrite should be zero. Nitrate should be kept below 20 ppm - but there may be some in your tap water.

Besides tank water, also test your tap water.
UK legislation allows up to 50 ppm in drinking water so that will tell you if your nitrate level comes from your tap water or being made in the tank.
pH should be tested in freshly run tap water and again on a sample of tap water that's been allowed to stand overnight. As you have hard water, you may find the pH increases on standing as carbon dioxide dissolved in the water gasses out. When carbon dioxide dissolves in water it makes carbonic acid which lowers the pH. As it gasses off pH increases.

Nitrate - the instructions say to shake one of the bottles; with the API tester it is bottle #2. This shaking is important - one of the reagents settles on the bottom of the bottle and the shaking is to mix it in thoroughly. Shake the bottle longer than the instructions say before adding the drops to the tube.

Hi again people,
Here are the results from my tank test.
Nitrite 0 ppm
pH greater than 7.6 as the water in the tube turned a darker shade of blue than the chart !
High Range pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - somewhere between 10 and 20 ppm

Do I need to do all the tests to my tap water ?

Thanks in advance guys/gals

Hi again people,
Here are the results from my tank test.
Nitrite 0 ppm
pH greater than 7.6 as the water in the tube turned a darker shade of blue than the chart !
High Range pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - somewhere between 10 and 20 ppm

Do I need to do all the tests to my tap water ?

Thanks in advance guys/gals
No, you need to test your tank water, as that is what is going to be needed.

No need to test high pH, as you don’t have high pH. From now on, just use the regular pH test.

You pH readings are good and so is your Nitrite. Your Ammonia should be 0ppm. The fact that it is above 0ppm means that your tank is not fully cycled.

I suggest getting some lives plants, to speed up the cycling process, and to suck up some of that Ammonia. (I suggest Anacharis)

Your Nitrate is good as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back