New To Manchester

water_boy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

so ive moved over to Manchester :cool: just wondered if anyone here knew the best aquatics shops here?

I've heard lots about The Abyss.....would love to go there but the 6hr drive would probably be pushing it.

http://www.abyssaquatics.co.uk/

I've heard lots about The Abyss.....would love to go there but the 6hr drive would probably be pushing it.

wow that place looks amazing, its a little far out for me tho as i am in the city center of manchester but will definitely have a ride out to it at some point. Any closer ones people??

try this

google maps
search manchester
search aquatics

....bought up quite a few for me.

try this

google maps
search manchester
search aquatics

with that search all i seem to be finding is the big swimming pool lol

was kind of looking for loca knowledge to but thank you very much for helping

try this

google maps
search manchester
search aquatics

with that search all i seem to be finding is the big swimming pool lol

was kind of looking for loca knowledge to but thank you very much for helping

Whereabouts are you mate?

Get yourself down to Oasis. It's just outside Manchester city centre in Salford, great shop.

There the swan street pet shop is pretty good just on the outskirts of the Northern quarter or there is Ashton Moss, Lord Sheldon Way/Garden Centre, both are pretty nice there also pets at home in ashton but it doesn't have much variety

Im just off oxford road so pretty central. ill check out those shops you mentioned thanks

Im just off oxford road so pretty central. ill check out those shops you mentioned thanks

Me too, Whitworth Street West. Oasis is 5 mins in the car.

Went to the Swan Steet one the other day which is walking distance but was pretty disappointed. It's geared more towards reptiles and stuff. There's another one too which is ok, Manchester Pets and Aquatics opposite the Apollo theatre.

wow that place looks amazing, its a little far out for me tho as i am in the city center of manchester but will definitely have a ride out to it at some point. Any closer ones people??

I went to abyss the other day its okay Its more marine fish then anything and seemed a bit pricey the fish section in the ashton garden centre is still the best place ive been to upto now

Depending how far you want to go there are quite few LFS in greater manchester.
As im not into marine, wont comment marine sections of shops below :D

Pets at home in Stockport - very nice choice of plants including tropica, but personaly dont feel comfortable buing anything else there, especialy fish
Pets at home in Trafford - Smaller than stockport one.

Abyss aquatics - not far from pets at home in stockport. Very nice choice of fish, but i wouldnt expect too many oddbals or rare species. Usualy nice choice of angelfish, L-number plecs. last time ive been there there was nice choice of different apisto's. Extensive range of tank on display. They also stock JBL food and gear which is quite rare for uk.

Oasis - walking distance from city centre, bit cramped but nice choice of fish and gear. Reasonable staff giving good advices (rare thing). Plant wise - not to big choice unfortunately.

Urmston aquatics - good gear prices, not too big choice of fish unfortunately. Plants also only typical common species). They have RO water on sale.

Gordon Riggs Rochdale(garden centre) - Atm growing back their pets department after last year fire, fish and plant wise choice is not great, but they have one of biggest choices of difrent types wood for hardscaping tanks ive seen in greater manchester including large pieces and its reasonably priced.

BAS (bolton aquatics superstore) - largest LFS in area, massive fish range. They stock few far east brands of equipment and tanks - great prices but you have to be carefull about quality in some cases.

If you are willing to travel bit further there are few Maidenhead Stores reasonably close to Manchester. They are especialy good if you need bit more choice in plants and related gear.

BAS in Bolton is good if you know what YOU want, personal to me they sound like they know nothing. I used to always get Goldfish from there and theres always a dead one in the tank. HOWEVER they have just been taken over and seems like the shop is getting better.

A very good store is

Foleys Pets (Steve & Luchie)
There store has been there years and my uncles tank and equipment has always been from there. slightly more expensive than BAS, but alot better knowledge. he'll also order in if you need something he hasn't got my uncle says.

449 Chorley Road
Swinton
Manchester
M27 9LQ
0161-794-3716
www.foleyspets&aquatics.com

for a first visit avoid bas for the time being its undergoing a major refurbishment at the moment but it is still open. 90% of my stock is from bas. i think they're going back to the old name of dave's though

check out Amazon Aquatics in Leigh, as for BAS in Bolton on my personal experiences I wouldn't reccommend, but thats just my opinion

+1 for Oasis Aquatics in Salford.

Brilliant shop :good:

James.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back