New to Gouramis!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
:) I have a 46 gallon tank currently with livebearers and I was thinking about getting a few Gouramis. I already know I want Pearl Gouramis and Dwarf Gourmais, but I'm not sure if I should get males or females? Is one more aggresive than the other? I want to aviod them fighting with each other, but I'm thinking female Gouramis are more peaceful than the males. Any advice? :/

Hi Sasha :)

If you are looking for peaceful gouramis, go with the females. :nod: They are just a little less attractive than the males, but much more calm.

When I took fish out of my 55 gallon tank to make room for more corys, I moved the female gouramis in together and put the 2 males into another tank. These males chase each other continuously, but the females (9 3 spots and 1 pearl) are calm as can be. They are so friendly with each other that they almost seem like schooling fish. :thumbs:

While they were all together in the big tank, the males chased each other and the females as well. :D

When I had my dwarf and golden gourami males together, they were as peaceful as can be!

Maybe I was just lucky to get those 2 fish?

Annastasia said:
When I had my dwarf and golden gourami males together, they were as peaceful as can be!

Maybe I was just lucky to get those 2 fish?
Maybe :dunno:

But I thought that when I separated them by sex, they would get along better than with them all being in the same tank. Frankly, I'm surprised that they don't.

Now I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the number of them in a given space. Look at the tanks of males at the lfs; are they constantly chasing each other? No, they're not.

When I separated my fish, I had planned to get a pair of platinum gouramis and put them in the appropriate tanks as well. Perhaps 3 males in a 20 gallon long would not have enough room to claim territories and would get along. I didn't do that though, because I really wanted to breed them, and I don't have the tank space right now.

I'd be very interested to hear of others experiences along these lines. :nod:

I have 2 male honey gouramis and 1 male pearl gourami in a 55g tank with many other fish [see sig] and they are fine. The pearl chases the other 2 away at feeding time but they all eat. It's also because he is 2 1/2 times as big as them too. The honeys are bright and curious and the pearl is beautiful and graceful :D

:thumbs: Thank you for the advice! I just bought a beautiful female Pearl Gourmai, but I'm afrid I'll have to get her some more companions! I want to get a few Dwarf Gourmais, Honey Gouramis and maybe one Chocolate Gourami. :fish:

I have 2 new male dwarf gouramis, used to have 2 male blue (3 spot) gouramis, but were too fast for my lil tank. The blue gouramis would chase each other pretty frequently. The dwarfs seem to have little discussions here and there about it, but have pretty much divvied up the tank to their satisfaction. I have lots of plants and caves, in my tank. I believe gouramis appreciate caves to establish their "home" and territory.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back