new thing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Francis

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I went to a pet shop today just to look at the interesting kinds of fish and came across this new thing developed in Australia. Its an all in one marine setup where you buy the tank and take the water and salt and get it all sorted. Then you take a sample back to the shop and they help you set up the reef and fish after three weeks. Also you buy the water from the pet shop thats all perfect for the type of marine fish so it saves struggling with water conditions and there you have it marine fish! All sounds too good to be true besides it can't be as fun as doing it yourself as you aren't really looking after the fish the pet shop is, nevertheless i'm going to give it a go. Does anyone else know about this. And sorry I can't remember the name of the equipment.

Thanks,

Francis.

yea a lfs near me does that and they use all biospire stuff, didnt ask how much it was though as i reckon its a lot but it wont hurt to find out will it

Its not a lot if you consider £400 for a 3x2x1.5 (or something like that) a lot.
Actually I guess that is quite expensive, but I don't know how much it is for the hard way of keeping marines.

Thanks,

Francis.

buy the tank and take the water and salt and get it all sorted

I assume you're buying more than tank, water and salt otherwise you're um... how do I put this... buying a large storage system for saltwater to gargle for sore throats, cause that's all it will be good for... You at least need some kind of filtration in there. At £400 for a 3x2x1.5, I doubt you're getting live rock, so you're not going to have a cycled filter.

It doesn't sound too good to be true, it sounds plain wrong. I suggest you get all the details you can then post them here for people to comment on.

You may want to visit here on your next trip to the LFS...

clueshop.jpg

Congratulations on entirely missing the point of what I was explaining.

Def said:
You may want to visit here on your next trip to the LFS...

clueshop.jpg

Congratulations on entirely missing the point of what I was explaining.
[snapback]885757[/snapback]​

Cut it out, we don't need this kind of disrespectful crap here on this forum Def

Francis, These types of package deals are usually too good to be true. The fact that they are offered as package deals is the first main concern. In this hobby most of the package deals are very much lacking in the filter area. Unless you are planning on a strictly fish set up with MAYBE some soft corals then the "filter" that is built into the hood of the tank you are looking at buying is not going to cut it. In my opinion you would be much better off asking questions on here and piecing together a good set up than instead buying a package deal that is most likely cutting corners in order to make a profit for the store selling it. Another sorry fact about this hobby is that in most cases (unless you have one of the few good LFS nearby) you will be dealing with pet stores that you MIGHT want to buy fish from, but would most likely pass on most of the hardware they are selling because it is either crap, high priced, or both. Be very wary of guidance you get from a pet store, many employees their are going to know a little about freshwater, but only know rumors about saltwater. I hope that I've helped you out a little, if you want to you could start another thread and ask some specifics about what type of hardware you should pick out once you have decided on a tank size and inhabitants for your dream tank.

Very well, but other people seem to be getting on fairly well so I thought I would try it. In a couple of months time I will post another thread explaining just how good it is, ok?

Francis.

Good posting superman. I think its best to ask alot of individual questions, and learn from good resorces, and different sources too, not just one! :nod: That way, you can sort out what good info is given to you from the bad stuff.

Ive seen a many of those packages, and they are dodgy, and way to good to be true. Ive seen one man walk out with "the lot" AND a LIVE fish! That fish would not have survived. He only had a 200g container of salt. :blink:

SO the point is, its way better spending good money for quality goods, when you have a bigger idea of whats out there! :thumbs:

I also think its not just Aus that have those deals! :nod:

look at it this way, if these package deals where all that good we would all be using them, the latest gizmo is only good to sell untill another one comes out, get a good basic setup and expand from there, buy a good protien skimmer before you setup, make sure you can get parts for anything you buy, dont assume the place selling the fish/equipement knows what they are talking about, dont believe everything printed in the mags, learn paitience, in this hobby 2 people can have apposing views on the same thing and still both be right, what works for one does not always work for all

Most reactions

Back