New Tank

backtotropical

Retired Mod
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
4,481
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Ok, so I think I'm getting a new tank next week. Its a Fluval Venezia 350. Perfect condition. Can't wait.

Its coming from a friend of a friend and its all been a bit sudden, so i've found myself getting a new tank and I've no idea what to stock it with.

My initial thoughts are:-

-Malawi Mbuna or Hap tank
-Frontosa
-Tropheus
-Blue Acara
-Discus
-Oscars
-Geophagus (Eartheaters)

The list goes on. I just don't know.

Thoughts please?
 
Well you like the cichlids. I personally love the NW cichlids and the blue acara is my fish of choice as I see in your signature you like them too. but do you have a tank with them already?

What do you already have.

If it were me I would do blue acara with eartheaters. Then put a neat med size pleco and a school of dither fish. maybe a few corys with them.
 
I currently have a planted community tank with:

Angelfish
Rummynose Tetras
Glass Bloodfin Tetras
Mollies
Snakeskin Barbs
Corys
Whiptail Catfish
Pleco
Ottos

I do really like cichlids. I kept Malawis before, and I've always had a soft spot for Tropheus and Frontosa.

I've never kept Blue Acara. I just liked the picture. :lol:
 
Well I have 3 blue acara young ones and they are great. You would be happy with them for sure. I think the eartheaters are really cool only one I had close to them is my boilvian ram he is awesome too. So go with the NW cichlids they are so much fun and entertaining. So many nw cichlids and peaceful fun ones to keep. I'm hooked on them myself.
 
I'd go for a South American theme, with some gnarly branches of redmoor and some vallisneria and onion plants

stocking would be something like this:

1 Severum
1 Blue Acara Male
3 Geophagus
9 Colombian tetra
3 hoplos
1 nice pleco, (Royal, Queen Arabesque or Gold Nugget)
 
I've agreed a price now so it should be arriving on Monday!!

I do like the S.American NW theme, but I also like the African options. Can't decide............

Discus seems really appealing too..............

Maybe I need another 3 tanks........... :lol:
 
:hyper:

DSC02311-1.jpg


:hyper:
 
Nice tank. Nice baby play gym I have one for my 6 month old.

So are you going with the NW cichlids what's the plan?
 
stunning.. guess what im gonna suggest ? :D

BUT

smaller cichlids with lots of rck would be very nice too. you can do away with the tv now, no one is going to watch it with a stunning tank next to it :lol:

hope the new baby is well and healthy :) and your getting enough sleep x x x ( love how you positioned it near to the play gym... baby will be asking for a tank in no time :lol: )
 
I'd go for a South American theme, with some gnarly branches of redmoor and some vallisneria and onion plants

stocking would be something like this:

1 Severum
1 Blue Acara Male
3 Geophagus
9 Colombian tetra
3 hoplos
1 nice pleco, (Royal, Queen Arabesque or Gold Nugget)

tis sounds like a lovely stocking to me. i would of suggested a severum as well ( best fish in the world!) mixes well with the geos and blue acara. a very similar stocking to what i have. its a mix that works really well
 
I think mbuna would be nice. They are great fish that have personality, color, cool breeding habits, and the tank can be low maintenance other than the fairly large water changes. No need to worry about Co2, proper lighting, fertilizers, and boring fish that hide all day or simply "float".
 

Most reactions

Back
Top