New Tank?

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
2,133
Reaction score
0
Points
0
As discussed in my last thread, I am quite distressed to learn that my tank is overstocked :( I would like to remedy this as best as I can as I do enjoy watching my fish and want them to be happy. My birthday is coming up next month so I think I'm going to ask for money towards a new tank setup.

Currently I have 3 Columbian Red Fins, 2 Black Phantom Tetras, 2 3-Sport/Opaline Gouramis and a Bulldog Pleco in my 60L. I am aware my tetra groups should be upped but I don't want to overcrowd anymore at the moment.

I don't want to get a huge tank as the maintenance would be high as I'm a busy student, but was thinking a 100-150L tank. That way I could up my tetra groups and there'd be more space for my Gouramis as currently one chases the other a lot and it makes the chased one very stressed.

At the moment I have quite large pebble-like gravel which ideally I'd like to replace as I find food gets stuck down there and it's hard to clean. I do have a vacuum thing but it doesn't work - just seems to disturb all the muck, cloud the water, then the bits which aren't sucked up by the filter when its switched back on just settles back down. I have a replica ship which the Gouramis love to hide in and a couple of plastic plants.

I'd like to start a planted tank as it seems this is what my fish would prefer, according to my research. What type of substrate would be good for the plants and fish? Baring in mind my pleco and I'd like to get some catfish in the future. Also what plants are good for beginners?

So, say I got a 150L tank - how many plants approx would I need to provide some decent hiding places for the fish alongside the ship? Also once I've got my tetra numbers up (total of 4 Columbians and 5 Black Phantoms) would I have space for some other fish? I'm a big fan of catfish so would maybe like some peppered corys.

Another point is that on the ThinkFish site it says my 3-spot should be kept in groups of 4... 2 is proving to be trouble! That can't be right can it?

Also, would an undergravel filter be a good idea alongside my internal filter?

Sorry - loads of questions....!
 
dont panic!
i would go for the largest tank you can afford to run and purchase ( think ebay) then get a filter than will turn over the total litres of water a minimum of 5 times per hour ( poss tetratec ex 700/ ex1200) i wouldnt bother with an undergravel, i have used them in the past but had probs,tho some members swear by them, so its a matter of choice :)
you could use sand as a substrate ( cories love it) rather than gravel, but you say you are a busy student and sand will get messy if not vac`d regularly ( more than gravel)otherwise a fine gravel.
you dont have to have live plants, you could go with plastic/silk ( silk being the better from what i have seen)
go to a garden center or woolworths etc and get some cheap terracotta plant pots, smash them in half using a hammer and flat screwdriver ( i find its easier when the pot is wet) and voila hiding places,as many as you like!
easy plants for begginers and good with not exceptional lighting are the likes of.. cabomba, java fern,amazon, ( tho my leaves tend to go brown) there are lots more i just cant think.
keep asking lots of questions, dont get into a guilt trip as then you will rush and possibly make mistakes.
i have kept 3 spots alone, but i would think they would do better in groups, but Ludwig is your man for that,
in the meantime, do research, into the fish you have ,any you may want in the future for compatibility issues etc, and enjoy it rather than worrying about it,its more than obvious that you care,so im positive youre on the right track ;)

hope ths helps.. and happy birthday when it comes :)

shelagh xxxx
 
Thanks for all the help Shelagh :)

I managed to convince my wonderful boyfriend to go halves with me on a tank today for my birthday, as my LFS has quite a few tanks on clearance. When we got there it seems I hadn't factored in the cost of the cabinet as well, the sign was a little misleading. Anyway there was a larger version of my current Elite 60L, think it was 72L but TBH I don't really like the stands as they seem so flimsy. Then saw this gorgeous Aqua One Evo 100 tank and beech effect cabinet in clearance including an external filter and heater. It also has T5 lighting which is brilliant. So I now have a 190L tank :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: It is MASSIVE next to my old one! Takes up half the living room, but luckily boyfriend likes fish too so it will be a lovely centrepiece.

Anyway, I toyed with what substrate to get and have gone with some Unipack Silver sand. My question is: should I clean it first? Bloke in shop said to half fill tank, then put in sand. After it has settled, top up water then turn everything on. He said it didn't need washing. Also he said it would be excellent for plants - just checking he's correct :unsure:

Think my current fish are going to get lost in this monster! Any further recommendations for plants would be great and any ideas on how many I'd need. Was thinking Java Fern and those water lilly type plants?

Thanks :good:
 
oh you lucky girl!!
i have noticed that a lot, that tanks and stands are priced seperatley, get al excited them boom!
im not sure about your planting, but i rekon you could go with something decent with the lighting you have, so if i were you i would post in the planted tank part of the forum,
i have never put un washed substrate into any of my tanks, maybe not 100% washed( with water) but no ever un washed completley, but again you need to wait for further advice on that one,
yeah having just reread the post, i would definatly move over to the planted aqaurium part and start a new thread there, you will have a beautiful tank in no time, they can advise you on substrate, fertilizers, co2 etc.. no its not as scarey as it sounds honest :)

shelagh xxx
 
yeah you will be fine. diy co is easy and costs nothing.!!! well next to nothing!
 
Thanks for all the help Shelagh :)

I managed to convince my wonderful boyfriend to go halves with me on a tank today for my birthday, as my LFS has quite a few tanks on clearance. When we got there it seems I hadn't factored in the cost of the cabinet as well, the sign was a little misleading. Anyway there was a larger version of my current Elite 60L, think it was 72L but TBH I don't really like the stands as they seem so flimsy. Then saw this gorgeous Aqua One Evo 100 tank and beech effect cabinet in clearance including an external filter and heater. It also has T5 lighting which is brilliant. So I now have a 190L tank :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: It is MASSIVE next to my old one! Takes up half the living room, but luckily boyfriend likes fish too so it will be a lovely centrepiece.

Anyway, I toyed with what substrate to get and have gone with some Unipack Silver sand. My question is: should I clean it first? Bloke in shop said to half fill tank, then put in sand. After it has settled, top up water then turn everything on. He said it didn't need washing. Also he said it would be excellent for plants - just checking he's correct :unsure:

Think my current fish are going to get lost in this monster! Any further recommendations for plants would be great and any ideas on how many I'd need. Was thinking Java Fern and those water lilly type plants?

Thanks :good:


Hi,
I would personally wash the sand, (which will stop the water from staining yellow,)

Here is a list of commonly found aquarium plants, any that require low levels of lighting would be your best bet
plant list

by the way if you need any floating plants I have a load of amazon frogbit that you could have for the cost of postage :good:
 
Thanks Davo, I might take you up on that very kind offer :)

Just waiting for dust to clear in tank before starting the cycling process. Can I add plants while the tank is being cycled?
 
I washed my sand completely. I also got a little fine gravel and made patches around where rocks and plants would be just to give it a little natural look. Before I did all that, I bought some plant substrate and put that down 2 inches thick. I then put 2 inches of sand down. I then began filling the tank with water using lots of bubble wrap as a buffer so not to disturb the sand. If I didnt do that, the sand and plant substrate would have mixed!!
When the tank was half full, I layed the gravel in the areas the plants and rock would be and then planted the plants and played with the rock setting. When I was happy, I filled the tank to the top and switched everything on.
I got Vallis and another plant which for the life of me I cannot remember the name of. Even with only a 20 watt bulb and NO CO2 injection, im regulary having to prune them as they are growing well. The plant substrate, for me, is a must!!
By the way, happy birthday for when it comes
 
Thanks for the happy birthday wishes :)

I don't want to get any plants which are too high maintenance. My plan is to get some liquid food to add and have the lights on regularly, so any plants would have to be suitable for that I guess. I am on a very limited budget so don't want to be forking out for Co2 canisters or that sort of thing. Just want some easy growing, easy care plants for my fish to hide in :)
 
Got some photos of the tank :) Bit cloudy still but I guess it will take a bit longer until it clears completely.

Is my outlet pipe too close to the sand do you think or is it OK? There's a little sand gathered in the bottom but it isn't getting sucked up. This is my first experience of an external canister filter so I hope I've done it right :unsure:

Immediately after setting up last night

DSCN0646.jpg


DSCN0650.jpg


DSCN0651.jpg


This morning

DSCN0653.jpg


DSCN0664.jpg


Sorry for bad quality images, couldn't be bothered to mess about with my DSLR, but will do once the water is clear to get some better shots.

Oh and this is the gourami showing his stress lines :(

DSCN0658.jpg


My current 60L setup - the ship will be going in my new tank as the gouramis love hiding in it and Derek (my pleco) likes cleaning it!

DSCN0661.jpg
 
* thanks god im not the only one that wrecks the house while setting up a tank*

its a beautful tank, what you may want to do is get some filer floss (wadding from a textile store-cheaper but as effective) put this is the top tray of the filter then it will grab all the tiny particles that are floating around, as first you may need to change the floss regualary, but after that just with normal routine.
your going to have great fun stocking that, the intake pipe seems fine where it is by the way as long as its not "in" the sand you`ll be ok, i see what you mean about it looking gigantic next to the other one :lol:

ps, if you have a back garden with a drain, invest in a hose pipe for the tank,you can empty and fill in no time for your weekley water changes ;)
 
nice tank :good: so you not useing c02 for your plants,let me know how you get on and lots of pics.
i would like to grow real plants but dont fancy the exra work of looking after the c02 :sad: :sad:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top