New tank test results

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishy_sean94

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Am new to all of this so wanted to make sure things are okay and “normal” in our new fish tank.

Our new tank has been set up for 3 days now and I just used the API test kit for the first time to see what the levels are and they read as follows:
Ph test: 7.6 (max)
High ph test: 8.2
Ammonia test: 0.25ppm
Nitrite test: 0ppm

Our tank is the Fluval Flex 57l running with its included filtration.

There are no fish or live plants in the tank, so far just gravel and some plastic plants.

Are the levels pretty normal for this stage?
The ph seems high, will this lower by itself after some more time or do I have to lower it myself?
Also would getting API Quick Start solution help and allow us to add a few fish sooner or is that not needed/recommended?

Yes, your levels are normal. The pH will not change much, the water is probably not going to be suited for very soft water species but don't try and change it. A stable pH is always preferable to one that fluctuates. More important is the GH, the general hardness. Can you find this on your water suppliers website and let us know the reading with the unit of measurement (ppm, °)?

Tetra Safe Start is more often recommended that the API one but it should speed up the cycle. Did you read up on cycling?

I agree with @Naughts Tetra SafeStart Plus is the best one to use, I have used it on a relatives tank and it worked fine, As I understand it the API one is missing the correct bacteria and is not recommended

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back