New tank - molly gave birth.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevore

Reaction score
I'm totally new to fishkeeping and aquariums and just set up my tank last Wednesday with 2 mollies, 1 platy, 1 rasbora and 1 danio (died mysteriously -thought these were supposed to be hardy fish).

I woke up this morning and my silver molly had given birth last night! There are 3 small fry in the tank (that I could see) and all this time I just thought she was just FAT and aggressive!! And now I'm looking suspiciously at my platy who also seems fat. Perhaps she's going to give birth too.

What in the world do I do?? I have no experience with fish, much less baby fish. Should I separate them out of the tank? Will they die because my tank is in the beginning stages of cycling? Do I need special food? If my platy gives birth should I get something in preparation of the big event?

Please any advice would be welcome! I feel like a new mother all over again!!! :crazy:

I suggest going to the beginner forum and reading some of the posts there, it is very informative.

I recommend many water changes in new tanks. Mollies are not very hardy fish (no matter what some pet store employees will tell you) so I think you should keep an eye on that tank. The water changes should keep the nitrite and ammonia levels down while the tank is cycling. I usually change some water in all of my tanks a couple times a week but that is a little excessive once a week is fine for a cycling tank and once every couple of weeks works for cycled tanks. The molly fry can eat regular fish flakes from birth. The flakes just have to be crushed up tiny enough to fit in their mouths.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back