What's new

New tank ideas

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sometime around Christmas I am upgrading my 5 gallon betta tank to 15 gallon. I know that’s in a very long time but I want ideas. Since I am getting a bigger tank I was thinking I could maybe get some other fish. Does anyone know of tankmates that can be with a betta in a 15 gallon? I really like the look of schooling fish but I understand 15 gallons is probably too small to have a school of fish.

Betts are solitary fish and should be kept alone. Keep your Betta in the 5 gallon and use the larger tank for something different. Too new to know numbers of fish to tank sizes, and I expect the species will be a contributing factor.

Betts are solitary fish and should be kept alone. Keep your Betta in the 5 gallon and use the larger tank for something different. Too new to know numbers of fish to tank sizes, and I expect the species will be a contributing factor.
i have to get rid of the 5 gallon in order to get 15 gallon. i will upgrade the betta anyways, because i'd much rather him have 15 gallon than 5 gallon.

Hey, watch this video about compatible fish that can do well with Betta fish. People think that betta fish can only stay alone but actually there are many fish that can go with betta fish. I think it's great that your betta will have a 15 gallon tank. He/she will be very happy :fish: BTW, I recommend Cory catfish. I've tried it in the past and they do great with bettas. However, if you get Cory catfish make sure you get at least 2 of them. I think a couple of Cory catfish might be perfect for a 15 gallon especially the peppered and bronze Cory catfish. My Cory catfish like to school up :)
Video:

Last edited:
Sometime around Christmas I am upgrading my 5 gallon betta tank to 15 gallon. I know that’s in a very long time but I want ideas. Since I am getting a bigger tank I was thinking I could maybe get some other fish. Does anyone know of tankmates that can be with a betta in a 15 gallon? I really like the look of schooling fish but I understand 15 gallons is probably too small to have a school of fish.
Platies will go good with Betta.
Mollies, guppy (not fancy), pygmy cory, etc. also.

Platies are also good algae control if you don't overfeed and Betta will be good birth control for platies.

Just put platies into the tank and keep betta out of tank, than add Betta after platies are in.
Betta will chase them for few days and odd platie might chase Betta here and there; But don't worry. After few days Betta will lose interest and just go back to checking stuff around the tank.

Just make sure you have plenty of decorations and plants for fish to go have place to hide and rest for a while.

P.S. not all Bettas have the same personality some might take longer to relax and others might be fine straight away.

Good luck

p.p.s don't put very small bristlnose pleco in. For some reason Betta kills them

Do not believe everything you read on-line or watch on YouTube. Anyone can set up a website or post a video with no knowledge whatsoever.

Bettas are best kept on their own.
Bettas and cories are not really compatible as bettas prefer temperatures just above 25 deg C/77 deg F while cories prefer it slightly below 25/77 deg
Bettas are not really compatible with common livebearers as bettas are soft water fish while the common livebearers are hard water fish.

You may not see any physical aggression, but we cannot see chemical aggression - allomones are chemical signals secreted by fish to communicate with other species. If the betta or the other fish are secreting aggression allomones, one or other fish will be stressed.

Do not believe everything you read on-line or watch on YouTube. Anyone can set up a website or post a video with no knowledge whatsoever.

Bettas and cories are not really compatible as bettas prefer temperatures just above 25 deg C/77 deg F while cories prefer it slightly below 25/77 deg
Bettas are not really compatible with common livebearers as bettas are soft water fish while the common livebearers are hard water fish.

You may not see any physical aggression, but we cannot see chemical aggression - allomones are chemical signals secreted by fish to communicate with other species. If the betta or the other fish are secreting aggression allomones, one or other fish will be stressed.
You’re too polite. Listen too essjay everyone.

I have Betta, livebearers and cory in the same tank, so do thousands of other people. And they all live just fine and happily.

Other than few very sensitive species most fish, just like all living organisms are adaptable to range of temperatures, conditions, etc.
They evolved in conditions where their water temperature fluctuates, water conditions fluctuate.
According to you: fish are unable to live in natural habitats they evolved in and lived for millions of years because the temperature drops during winter and they don't prefer it.
Especially fish like Betta that live in muddy puddles and livebearers that live in habitats ranging from muddy puddles to brakish water in nature.

Platies are classified as invasive species in Australia and number of countries because they invade wide range of environments and thrive in them.
I'll leave that as point of argument on what they prefer in fish keeping world and practical case of their invasive adaptability.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back