New tank idea

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Waterstrider

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As the cichlids get older , I am contemplating a new community.
Iā€™m thinking lots of java plants- ferns and moss with small drift wood. Probably sand based. Iā€™m leaning towards partially self maintaining with zebra nerites, loads of ghost shrimp. Any fish added would be later and quite small. This might be a 90 gallon tank, so Iā€™m thinking of calling it ghost shrimp homeworld. Lol. Thoughts or ideas very welcome

Amano shrimp are much better at eating algae than ghosts.
You could also get some N. davidi that will breed in freshwater unlike amanos.
It could happen . They donā€™t have to eat too much algae with the nerites there. Wondering if ghost and those could get along. Itā€™s a pretty big tank after all

You could get some cherry shrimp. I like these over the two species mentioned. ;)

Iā€™ve raised ghosts before but not with the other, any problems mixing species?
My ghosts killed my cherries. I think there is 2 different types of ghosts, one that will kill other shrimp and one that wont. I could be wrong, someone will be along to correct me if I am :)

My ghosts killed my cherries. I think there is 2 different types of ghosts, one that will kill other shrimp and one that wont. I could be wrong, someone will be along to correct me if I am :)
I think Iā€™ve heard something like that. If someone knows any way to tell those apart send me a line

I have only ghost shrimp so have no experience with them and other shrimp but they do leave my nerite and ramshorn shrimp alone. They do go after small pond snails. Prawn is a different story and will kill snails, other shrimp and fish and they do look like ghost shrimp but with larger claws

I have only ghost shrimp so have no experience with them and other shrimp but they do leave my nerite and ramshorn shrimp alone. They do go after small pond snails. Prawn is a different story and will kill snails, other shrimp and fish and they do look like ghost shrimp but with larger claws
Thanks, I wasnā€™t 100 on the merited. Fish Iā€™m looking at are all small. I looked at ember tetras, but want something more compatible with hardwater. Looking at endlers, but not decided

Btw I have ghost shrimp with amano shrimp and have had no problems. Also some fish species have no trouble living in hard water even though their native water is softer water you will have to look up what fish are like that.

I have ghost, reds, blues and yellows in my shrimp tank and have no problems. Ghost do get somewhat pushy with the others and snails but no deaths from them and no alarming aggression

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back