New Tank For Malawi Cichilds

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It would seem the fish I thought was a Jacob is not. It's actually looks more like Aulonocara sp Rubin red What can I add with this fish

It would seem the fish I thought was a Jacob is not. It's actually looks more like Aulonocara sp Rubin red What can I add with this fish

You have the same options as if it was a Jacob. Best to keep one pair/trio of Peacock really because of the cross breeding issue but different species of mbuna added will be fine in the tank :good:

And i thought american cichlids were complicated, malawi's and mbuna are waaaaay more complex!!

If I can get a better photo of it would you be able to tell me exactly what it is just I'm really unsure as there seems to be a few different species that look the same.

I've got a trio of what ever species it is lol 2 females and a male

managed to get a few shots with the camera hopefully you can tell me what species he is and also i want to know what species another fish is just to make sure its the same as the LFS said it was.

Aulonocara
aulonacara1.jpg

alunacara2.jpg

alunacara3.jpg

please identify
male
NEW1.jpg

female
new2.jpg

my tank again
aquarium1.jpg

aquarium2.jpg

thanks for all the help guys and girls

As I can`t post a link to a specific Cichlid Forum that I use, I`ve copied the photos and posted on there to ask on your behalf for an id on the fish you have.

The second pic looks like an elongatus mpanga and the third one looks like a female pseudotropheus elongatus neon spot but I`m not positive so don`t quote me :unsure:
As soon as I can get a confirmed id I`ll post back and let you know :good:

Yeah those 2 are supposed to be a pair but I'm uncertain of the actual name of them.
Is the first fish definitely from the alonocara species ?

the aulonocara does look like a jacob , there are several colour variants of jacobfreibergi . what lisa said about aulonocara is spot on too they will interbreed with just about anything that will let them . with mbuna itrs best to avoid species with females that similar . they will still interbreed but not as bad as aulonocara . males will also be more aggressive/territorial towards similar looking males too so try to get species that look different .

personall;y from having had a tank that was mixed haps/peacxocks and mbuna i would suggest that you decide wether its haps/peacocks or mbuna that you prefer and then have thwe tank stocked with 1`or the other . mixing the 2 can be done but you need to choose your species carefully . personally i find the behaviours ofd mbuna much more interesting .

id be tempted tro keep the yellow labs , sell the other fish and then add some more mbuna . maybe some pseudotropheus elongatus mpanga , pseudotropheus socolofi , and cynotilapia afra , either jalo reef or cobue .

ive currently got labs , mpanga and jalo reef together and they get on fine ( for mbuna at least lol)

The replies that have been posted so far suggest:

Answer 1......aulonocara stuartgranti flametail or red shoulder at a guess, second maybe a Pseudotropheus Elongatus number 3 no idea.

------------------------------------------------
Answer 2.....First one looks like Aulonocara Saulosi
second - Elongatus chewere

If you google the names then you should be able to tell by looking at your fish whether the replies suggest correctly :good:

Saulosi does look the closest match.

I'll take th second replie answers to both be correct. The 3rd photo is supposed to be a female version of the second photo lol.

Thanks for the help elisew

the aulonocara does look like a jacob , there are several colour variants of jacobfreibergi . what lisa said about aulonocara is spot on too they will interbreed with just about anything that will let them . with mbuna itrs best to avoid species with females that similar . they will still interbreed but not as bad as aulonocara . males will also be more aggressive/territorial towards similar looking males too so try to get species that look different .

personall;y from having had a tank that was mixed haps/peacxocks and mbuna i would suggest that you decide wether its haps/peacocks or mbuna that you prefer and then have thwe tank stocked with 1`or the other . mixing the 2 can be done but you need to choose your species carefully . personally i find the behaviours ofd mbuna much more interesting .

id be tempted tro keep the yellow labs , sell the other fish and then add some more mbuna . maybe some pseudotropheus elongatus mpanga , pseudotropheus socolofi , and cynotilapia afra , either jalo reef or cobue .

ive currently got labs , mpanga and jalo reef together and they get on fine ( for mbuna at least lol)

Cheers for the info mark.
Once I get the tank into it's final resting place then I'll have a #41#### good think about what fish I'm going to keep. I really wish I had asked for a stocking list from you guys before going out and buying random cichlids. Lesson learned

Saulosi does look the closest match.

I'll take th second replie answers to both be correct. The 3rd photo is supposed to be a female version of the second photo lol.

Thanks for the help elisew

No worries, you`re welcome :)

The third fish does look like a female, the females tend to be a dull brown compared to the colour that the males have.

I really wish I had asked for a stocking list from you guys before going out and buying random cichlids. Lesson learned

Even some of the more experienced fish keepers make mistakes so don`t worry, at least you found out before it was too late for your other fish and as long as it`s a lesson learnt then that`s all that matters :good:

Is it normal for 2 yellow labs to go head to head and keep edging closer to each other then turn away. It looks like there gonna fight but then they turn away. It's quite funny to watch

Sounds like their working out who`s the dominant one if it`s 2 males doing it. They tend to spin round and round as though they`re chasing each others tail too and yes it is entertaining to watch.
B-)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back