New Tank For Malawi Cichilds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Should fairies go with malawi's?

Tank looks excellent, but why does it just appear to be in the middle of the room? :lol:

Yeah I got some today mate there going in tomorrow when I do my final rescape (hope it's my final scape) Im actually going to cover the whole bottom of the tank front to back side to side.

Like you say it's a small price for piece of mind

thats the best way mate complete coverage . that way you have complete freedom as and when you want to move rocks you can place them anywhere you want knmowing its safe

Tank looks excellent, but why does it just appear to be in the middle of the room? :lol:

No, imho Tanganyikan cichlids shouldn`t be mixed with Malawi/mbuna however especially with the level of aggression that the brichardi are known for, cocomonkey will soon find out if there`s going to be any problems......his malawis will have big chunks out of their fins :/

The tank does look good, it`s nice and clean and it`s good that you opted to get the 'egg crate' B-)

My concern though would be the way you`ve chosen to mix the species of fish that you have :X

I've already found out that those fairy cichlid are nowhere near as nice as they look lol there going back to the shop and I'm replacing them with more johanni.
I was shocked when I first seen a tiny little fairy cichlid attack the Jacob which is 4-5 times it's size.

No more tanganyikan are going in this tank.

I genuinely didn't expect the fairy cichlid to be so vicious

You see, i was expecting it to be the other way around. My Fairies were exactly that... Fairies! They never showed any aggression towards anything else in my tank at all. :unsure:

I`m sorry that you found out the hard way and I know it`s too late but you should really have posted a list of the fish you liked and we could have helped you out with a better stock list :/

Anyway, please be careful with the Johanni as they too can be sods and there are other more peaceful species that could work well in your tank.
To get the most compatible fish can you please post a list of the fish that your lfs has that you like and we`ll attempt to sort out between us what the best options would be for you?

I was waiting for someone to ask why the tank seems to be in a random spot. The reason behind this is....... My other aquarium currently in the alcove where my cichlid tank is going. This weekend both tanks will be moved I will then post a photo of the room with 2 tanks in place lol

I`m sorry that you found out the hard way and I know it`s too late but you should really have posted a list of the fish you liked and we could have helped you out with a better stock list :/

Anyway, please be careful with the Johanni as they too can be sods and there are other more peaceful species that could work well in your tank.
To get the most compatible fish can you please post a list of the fish that your lfs has that you like and we`ll attempt to sort out between us what the best options would be for you?

This is a list of what cichlid my LFS has in stock. He will also order any fish I want in for me.
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_224207.php

Can I add any other aulanocara to my tank with me already having a Jacob ?

Lol. Yeah it's filled but the unit is on Plastic stumps that slide very easy on laminate flooring. I'll empty half of the water out before moving it (water change and moved into place). Kill 2 birds with one stone lol

I done the same thing with my roma 200 got it all setup then moved it into place. Aslong as we take our time when sliding it across the floor there is no pressure on the glass.

This is a list of what cichlid my LFS has in stock. He will also order any fish I want in for me.
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_224207.php

Can I add any other aulanocara to my tank with me already having a Jacob ?

On the presumption that you mean Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi, plus your previous list excluding the brichardi now i.e

7 yellow labs - 2 male 5 female
3 Jacob - 1 male 2 female
2 johanni - 2 male Shop didn't have any females.

From the list on that AC page you could add, 1m, 2f of the afra chewere OR the Cynotilapia afra white, bearing in mind the nimbochromis will get to approx 10" at adult size, you could possibly add 1 pair of them.

The secret is to choose completely different looks, especially with the mbuna to lessen the chance of cross breeding. It`s a bit more difficult with the aulonocara because basically the females are slappers and even if they look completely different, they`re very likely to cross breed. I personally think you`d be much better off having the Jacobs as your only pair of Aulonocara and having more of the mbuna such as the elongatus neon spot, ndumbi red top, socolofi for example as they`re all relatively 'sociable' and not high on the aggression scale.

I`ll give you some idea of my stock list:

Psuedotropheus ndumbi red top, pseudotropheus elongatus neon spot, pseudotropheus socolofi, elongatus mpanga, haplochromis sp.44, nimbochromis venustus, yellow labs and white labs.
Plus I do have 2 pairs of Aulonocaras (Jacobfreibergi`s and Sunset`s) and a pair of Taiwan Reefs.

If you google the different species that I have, you`ll be able to see what I mean about them all looking completely different :)

Well I think it's a Jacob lol. I'll check all the fish you have mentioned and see what I fancy. I'm looking into the idea of converting my roma 200 into a tang tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back