New Tank, Bacterial Bloom, Help A Newbie!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ikiera

Reaction score
Hi there, just a couple of questions from a newbie to the pros!

I've always loved aquariums.. my gramp had two huge ones with all sorts in when I was a kid. I wasnt very brave, not being knowledgable, and I bought an aquaone 28l tank, solely for a betta once its cycled. It has a filter and a heater and a mini air pump whilst its cycling as Ive read one of the bacteria needed in a tank is aerobic.It isnt planted (please dont judge!) as I really wasnt confident with this! There are silk plants for cover. I washed everything thoroughly before adding dechlorinated water.
I had it a week and a half adding a pinch of fish food and had a bacterial bloom. I understand this is a good thing. Its been like it a week and ive done a 1/3 water change(gravel cleaner) on someone elses advice. Im well aware it can take an age... im also waiting on my api master kit which in the post. Any advice would be lovely..

cheers guys and gals

Attachments

• 20121213_085853-1.jpg
    20121213_085853-1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 205
As this is a fishless cycle (and well done for going down that road!) I would leave it for the moment; it'll clear up on it's own, eventually :good:

cheers.. i thought that might be the case! yeah fishless is the only way to go... the shop I picked my tank up from was like.. yeah leave it a few days and itll be fine! tried to sell me a smaller filterless heaterless tank for my potential betta.... i might have given the guy an earful! Def wont be buying fish from there!!

Just wanted to say good on you for going fishless, it's really refreshing to hear that you've done your research first :good:

Hi there

I'm close to starting a fish less cycle and also a newbie. I've never came across anything about a bacteria bloom yet. Is that the red areas in your pic?

David

No, that red is the gravel ;)

The bacterial bloom is that haze that's making the water look milky and cloudy.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Or not, as the case may be lol. I'm sure it'll sort itself out from what others are saying.

Hi, i'm also a newbie... also taken the fishless route... last night is when I first got the tank up and running.. filter, heater, airpump... also have living plants, and as of tonight my water is starting to look milky, I added yesterday the the necessary chemicals to my tap water...

Went this afternoon to the local pet store and pick up a some other chemical that helps speed the process up.. ie. Ammonium nitrates nitrites etc.. also bought some fish food and added a pinch this afternoon, read online yesterday that what I did speeds the process up, the guy at the shop even suggested I could take fish home with me this coming Monday?? However after reading so many forums im rather skeptical about buying fish so soon...

Regarding my fish as it is now.. do I carry on with my dosages of chemicals with which the instructions instruct "one a week"....

Thanks in advance

Hi

From what I've learnt, it's not a case of dosing once a week but instead, daily doses of ammonia and doing daily water tests to check if the ammonia is being processed. Once the level consistently drops to zero within 12 hours of dosing, you're ready to add fish. I have explained it in the most basic terms so have a read at 'fish less cycling' in the beginners resource centre on the 'your new freshwater tank' forum. It is a very comprehensive guide which I will be following.

David

David is very right, The only issue being these products that suggest they speed up is that 95% they really don't but there good starters. If anything I'd buy yourself a API testing kit and work out what happens to your ammonia when added, Plenty of How To's in this forum.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back