New Tank - Aqua One Regency 120

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry that there's been no updates for a few days, I have been busy, but here are the test results, with a few interesting quirks along the way!

10th December 2008 - Day 49 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 09:45 - (+12:00hrs since ammonia added)
Water Temperature: 26 deg. C
NitrIte: 0.25

Time: 00:30
Approximately 15ml of ammonia added, should raise the tank to 5ppm

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

11th December 2008 - Day 50 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 13:30 - (+13:00hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0.25
:unsure:

Time: 23:45

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

12th December 2008 - Day 51 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 11:45 - (+12:00hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0.75 :unsure:
Ammonia: 0
NitrAte: 40
PH: 7.2
High Ph: 7.4

The tank seems to be uncycling! NitrIte levels are gradually getting higher each day after the 12hr period...

Time: 22:00 - (22:15hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0

Time: 22:10

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

13th December 2008 - Day 52 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 10:10 - (+12:00hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0.9~1.0 :crazy:

Definitly the NitrItes seem to be gradually getting processed slower. Not sure why as the results taken on the 12th show all other stats as fine :(
Still, the replacement tank should arrive from Aqua One today, so that will be a 100% water change & substrate transfer anyway, (as well as some filter 'off time')

So the tank was changed over, which involved removal of all the water and gravel, ornaments etc. I set the external filter running just on a bucket over tank water just so that it had some kind of water flow through it for the couple of hours that the change over took, so we shall see what effect that had!

100% Water Change
100% Substrate (gravel) removal and then replace (same gravel, new tank)
New 'Glass Tank'
Heater set back to 28/30 deg. C (to try and sort out whatever the problem was with the N-Bacs previously!)

Time: 00:35

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

14th December 2008 - Day 53 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 13:00 - (+12:25hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0.9
Ammonia: 0.25

As expected looks like both colonies took a slight hit from the tank changeover

Time: 20:45 - (19:50hrs since ammonia added)
Water Temperature: 28 deg. C
NitrIte: 0 :good:
Ammonia: 0 :good:

Time: 23:00

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

15th December 2008 - Day 54 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 11:15 - (+12:15hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0.0~0.1 :good:
Ammonia: 0

This looks better, perhaps the changeover gave the N-Bacs a kick, fingers crossed for hitting 0 within 12hrs tomorrow :)

Time: 22:20

16th December 2008 - Day 55 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 10:15 - (+11:55hrs since ammonia added)
NitrIte: 0.1
Ammonia: 0.1

Time: 22:20

Getting bored now... COME ON!!!

Not sure if anyone is reading this anymore, but if not then I guess it's just me to have a party :-
Of course if others are still reading you can all join in - lol :- :- :-

17th December 2008 - Day 56 (300L - Fishless Cycle)

Time: 10:25 - (+12:05hrs since ammonia added)

Looks like it finally hit 0 from 5ppm - lol
Fingers crossed for tomorrow now!

Time: 22:15

Schmill I am reading every word of it an you have no idea how much this is helping me I am new to the hobby and I am soon to start the whole fishless cycle process myself and what you have done and the help backtotropical is giving you is great keep up the good work

OH fantastic tank by the way :good:

Hi Schmill,

Yes, i'm still reading. I'm surprised some of the other guys who seem to like these cycling threads so much haven't chipped up yet.

Waterdrop, Miss Wiggle, Oldman47............................

I haven't posted much because you seem to be doing fine. I've not really had anythingh else to add.

Your tank swap seems to have went without a hitch, and you appear to finally be cycled...............again! :lol:

Unfortunately you've suffered a few unforeseen set backs in this cycle which has strung it out for longer than usual, but you seem to be there now.

Congratulations mate on a successful cycle. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's results!! Day 1 of your "qualifying week".

Time to sit back with a :beer: now. You deserve one.

BTT

Just read through the whole thread, great read thats for sure!! Just started my cycle yesterday so with a bit of luck I'll be done by mid-late january :D Im glad all your time and effort has paid off matey :)

Hey... nice thread. I've just bought a Regency 120 too, and started the cycling yesterday.

Quick question, I see your temps vary quite a lot... what is your thermostat set at? (I assume you have the Aqua One 300W heater that comes with the tank). I have had quite a few problems keeping the temperature stable (on my third heater at the moment - don't ask).

Sounds like you HAVE had a few thermometer issues :eek:
I am running the same one, and to be honest have not had any problems with it at all, it could be perhaps with where you have sited it and how?
Mine is vertical and about 1-2 inches in from the right hand side at the back, and my filter inlet is at the back left of the tank. I did have the duckbill type attachment fitted with water coming in and travelling from left to right across the back of the tank which created a clockwise flow in the tank, however when I recently got the replacement tank I changed to using the spray bar (underwater) at the rear of the tank, (mainly because it was going to be a pain to use the duckbill with the new tank construction).
Also consider where you have your ordinary thermometer (if you have one?), I have mine about mid-water at the back left of the tank so hopefully measuring water temperature as it approaches the filter inlet.
I the reasons my temperature seems to flucuate in the log are as follows:

• Increase Temperature for bacteria cycle
    Originally I had my temperature set to 25ish deg. C, but was told the bacteria flourish better at higher temps, so turned it up to 30ish.
  • 100% water changes
    Due to various issues I've had to do THREE 100% water changes so far, and my fresh water goes in at about 12-15 deg. C (being Winter). This does seem to knock the filter back a bit but thats the way it is. the heater then usually seems to get this back to the correct temperature over 24hrs or so.
  • Temperature Decrease for qualifying week
    When my cycle originally finished, I decreased the temp from the 'bacteria' level of 30ish deg. C, down to the 'fish' level of 25ish deg. C. Of course that was before I had the otehr problems which meant I had to start cycling again - lol
  • Replacement Tank
    Yup, I had to get a replacement tank from Aqua One as my first one had dodgy sealing around the hood, meaning that the condensation dripped down the outside of the tank. they were very good about it and sent a replacement, but that did mean a complete strip down, and 100% water change. during the stripping and refilling time though I did keep the filter running with a bucket of tank water, (just put the inlet and outlet in the bucket), over the duration, and that seemed to minimise the effect :)
Now that I am qualifying again, if I get good results for a few days I shall wind the temperature back down to the 'fish' level again :)

So have you found that the temperature your thermostat is set to on the heater is pretty close to your thermometer reading?

Currently my heater is set to 30C, which keeps the water (well my thermometer) at a fairly stable 26C. Before anyone suggests a dodgy thermometer, my teacher brother pinched borrowed two thermometers from his school, and they both married up with the readings from the existing thermometer.

Yeah, although the heaters are a bit weird, in that I've found if you have the '28' in the little window, then (for my tank at least) it will get the water to 28, but the red 'bar' on the heater only reaches as far as '26'. To be honest I don't think the actual setting matters too much, as long as you know what 'offset' you get between your heater and your thermometer. If that offset changes, then I'd worry about the heater :)

Stubedoo, take a look here at a thread I've now branched our Regency 120 discussion off into to try and keep this place tidy :)
(Regency 120 Discussion)

To everyone else, sorry about our little detour there, it's good to see how other people are getting on :)
I had no idea people were actually paying any attention to my insane ramblings :p

Anyhoo, here are todays results :)

18th December 2008 - Day 57 (Day 2 of 'Qualifying Take2') (300L - Fishless Cycle) -

Time: 10:15 - (+12:00hrs since ammonia added)

Hooray! :lol: Zero's again :)

Time: 22:40 - (For the observant among you, yes that's right, I'm just about to do it!)

Wow... your dedicated to your trade and have taught me a lot.

Thank you, but how long should a fishless cycle normally take?

Cheers BTT, pretty much... I think... just got to find the £££'s to do it now - lol
I have it here if you are interested:
Stocking Ideas (Post 21)

Question now, and I know it's a bit 'naughty'... do you think the full week of qulifying is going to be needed based on how close this tank has been for a while now? The reason I ask is that this coming weekend will probably be the last chance before Christmas for me to get plants & fish and I am in 2 minds abouts it. If I don't get the fish I will have to go and get more ammonia I think to keep me covered for over the Christmas period.
Thing is, I've got the bacteria to this level. If the LFS only has a few of the fish I want, (or I can only afford a few of them), then I will HAVE to stop put ammonia in the tank, but the small fish load will surely cause a die-back meaning that then in the new year I'll have to add fish to the tank slowly, which seems a bit of a waste...
The other option is to not get any fish yet, and just start at an empty ammonia dosed tank all Christmas break, which also seems a waste...
Doh!
So if the LFS has a reasonable number of fish, and I can get them, do you think it would be ok to go ahead this weekend if the results tomorrow are 0-0 as well?

Hi Schmill,

Just seen this. What have your results been?

If you have had 0-0 every day then tomorrow will be day 5 of 0-0 if my calculations are correct. I don't think it makes much difference whether you 'qualify' for 5 days or 7.

I'd say if it's been 0-0 every day of qualifying and it's 0-0 again tomorrow morning, do your big water change and down to the LFS with you.

Congratulations again. :good:

BTT

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back