New tank advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,
Been a very long time since I have had tropical fish.

I recently went a purchased a 3ft tank (for now) set it up and cycled for a week.

I then put in 10 small mollies
Waited few days, then 4 angles
Few days and then 2 clown loach.

Is this to many fish or will it be ok? All fish are very small atm, have done water testing and everything seems ok?

I think you will run into issues since the aquarium isn't fully cycled (fishless takes around 6-8 weeks and with fish takes around 7 to 12 weeks)

The fish are not really suited to going through a cycle, you may end up losing a few, possibly all of them.

Can you give the length x depth x height of the aquarium since Angels and Clown Loaches grow very large and have very specific requirements in regard to aquarium size. There are also compatibility issues to consider also, the species choices are not ideal. I would strongly sugest that you return all the fish to the store and prepare the aquarium properly.

A photo of your aquarium, full frontal showing what is in there in regard to planting etc would be helpful too please. Aslo your maintenance regime, current water chemistry test results.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Tank size is 920x360x420 (mm)
I took the advice of my local aquarium on fish and time etc. Picture attached

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpg
    IMG_4052.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 77
It's a lovely aquarium, however it isn't fully cycled by any means....and the chosen fish will soon outgrow the space (should they survive the cycling process, which is sadly doubtful)

Aquascape wise its not too bad, although you are going to need alot more planting, ideally sight blocking to allow security from squabbling fish. Angels generally pair up and can become quite aggressive. Clown Loaches get extremely large, as do Angels. Compatibility is all haywire...Mollies are livebearers and the young will be eaten by the Angels, they all need very specific conditions to thrive and I fear it is not going to be met longterm

My honest opinion is that you return the fish to the shop and get the aquarium planted up and cycled fully. Then choose fish that are suited to the dimensions and volume of the aquarium and the water chemistry...you have not posted your results which are an essential part of choosing the right fish (pH, hardness etc...all of which can be found on your water company website)

Basic water conditions for your fish....

Angels....Temp 76-86 degrees, pH 6.5 to 7.5, they are semi aggressive with each other and potentially tankmates that they can eat. For 4 Angels you need at least 80 gallons minimum (20 gallons per Angel)

Mollies....temp 70-82 degrees, pH 7 to 8

Clown Loaches....temp 75-86 degrees, pH 5 to 7.5, fully grown can reach 18 inches and minimum aquarium needed around 75 gallons

So you will have issues with the mix of fish on top of the fact the aquarium is nowhere close to being cycled.

pH is app 7.4. I don't have a water hardness test. I do have the Api test kit, Ammonia was almost 0 I believe (hard to tell the colours)
I did realise after buying loaches they will get to big and was going to return them. I do like the angels but, What could be kept with them if not the mollies. I wish my local shop had some better advice prior to buying these..

How will I know if the fish are suffering? they very active and have for several days so far? (not questioning your advice)

Seriously do not get any more fish until the aquarium shows constant zero nitrite and ammonia once the aquarium is cycled

Take all the fish back. At this stage it would not be advised to keep any of them whilst the aquarium is uncycled and immature. Even with excellent filtration you are still going to have issues getting a fish-in-cycle completed, it is the hardest method of cycling and takes by far the longest to complete. The fish will suffer since during the cycle the ammonia and nitrite levels will be rollercoastering, and it will poison the fish.

I keep saying this to people returning to fishkeeping or starting out as a first timer. Shops thesedays see a customer with an open and willing wallet, they are usually very inaccurate on information given to people, they are after the sale and not concerned about the person's ability, readiness or the welfare of the fish. I have lost count how many people have taken advice from the shop and been let down so badly...frankly it infuriates me.

It is heartbreaking but you really do need to return the fish, all of them, get the aquarium properly cycled and then find the most suited fish that will thrive in the aquarium......you do not want them to tolerate, you need them to thrive.

I am sorry, but this is a disaster waiting to happen right now.

In regard to testing, I suggest an API liquid test kit, it contains every aspect of water chemistry testing and its extremely accurate and user friendly. During the cycling process it will be an essential piece of kit. They are quite expensive to buy but they do last longer than the paper strips, they are far more accurate and they cover everything.

What is the current maintenance regime that you are doing?

Water change...how much/frequency?
Dechorinator?
Filter maintenance?

@Fishmanic @Slaphppy7 @itiwhetu @Colin_T @emeraldking can you step in an offer advice here please. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently at 10 days since setup, today I did a small water change, washed filter out. I have just been testing pH but other then that just letting it run?

Currently at 10 days since setup, today I did a small water change, washed filter out. I have just been testing pH but other then that just letting it run?
When you say the filter was washed out...explain how that was done please?

The media should be falling apart before it requires changing, only the floss needs changing once a week, the other media should be rinsed in removed aquarium water during water changes.....if you washed the entire filter, you will have inadvertently washed away all good bacteria needed to keep the water chemistry healthy and in a cycle the good bacteria is essential for completion

You need to test everything, not just the pH when cycling...it is absolutely essential to monitor the ammonia and nitrites

Why did you wash filter out? And did you water from the aquarium or tap water to do so? Also what filter is it?

I washed the filter out with clean water :(:(:(
Oh dear.....

It is absolutely imperative that the Angels, Mollies and Clown Loaches go back to the shop matey, I am so sorry :(

We need to get you started from scratch on a fishless cycle

We can get you sorted, it will take time and patience...and some work from yourself...but it can be done, I promise you...but the fish have to be removed and returned.

I washed the filter out with clean water :(:(:(
Ahh, I think you have just destroyed any good bacteria that had began to thrive in the tank. Honestly I completely agree with other members on this post, I know it’s not ideal but I really believe you should return the fish and start again. Ask for advice on everything you do when setting up a new tank, nothing is a stupid question. There are always very knowledgable fish keepers on this forum at all times for this.

Most reactions

Back