new snail in tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

puprrgard

Reaction score
hello everyone,

i just bought some java moss and wisteria for my 5 gallon freshwater tank. i only keep a nerite snail inside of it right now. i just performed a water change and the ammonia is a little too high to add a betta (it's about ~0.25 ppm, so i'd rather not risk it).

it looks like a new snail hitched a ride on the wisteria, and i'm having trouble identifying it. i think it's a trumpet snail? if it is, i heard that they can reproduce on their own, and i really don't want a repeat of the situation i had with pond snails sneaking into my tank from frogbit i ordered online. any tips are appreciated, since i don't actually mind a trumpet snail since it sifts through my sand. i just don't want them to overrun my tank. thank you. :)

Attachments

• 20230827_213438.jpg
    20230827_213438.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Looks like a Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snail. Kill it so it doesn't get out of control.

If you have an ammonia reading, do a 75% water change to dilute it.
Check the tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Looks like a Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snail. Kill it so it doesn't get out of control.

If you have an ammonia reading, do a 75% water change to dilute it.
Check the tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
thank you! i am going to test the ammonia reading after work today. if it's still there, i'll do another 75% water change since i just did one yesterday to remove excess nitrates.

i'll go ahead and remove the trumpet snail after work as well.

Sigh, I wish I could have snails. Problem is that my dwarf cichlids like them as snacks. I want to re-home my cichlids and go back to just my rope fish and panda garras but have not had much luck re-homing. A trusted on-line fish outlet advised that, since the cichlids totally wiped out bladder snails I had in the tank, they would kill any snail I introduced. Actually sort of nice to have a source that will pass up a sale to protect the beasties.

Most reactions

Back