🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

paul6294

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a new setup as follows:

Roma 125 tank
Eheim Professional 3 250 filter

I put 1 cm of Tropica Plant Substrate in a couple of days ago, then 3-4 cm of gravel that came supplied with the tank over this, a medium piece of washed in fresh water bogwood from Petsathome and a couple of fake resin rocks, then added in the water very carefully so as not to disturb anything.  I set the temperature to 24C and it's reached this now.  I also measured the water going into the tank and the total amount, including what is in the tubes and filter is 112 L.  I conditioned the water using Aqua One Water Conditioner as per the bottle instructions.  The filter has been running for 2 days now, the lights have been off and the temperate is 24C.

I have used the liquid API Freshwater Mater Test Kit and get the following readings:

pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.5
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 40

From what I have read, these readings are not ideal, have I perhaps done something wrong or is it just settling down and having these readings (particularly Ammonia) due to the plant substrate that is at the bottom of the tank?  If I have done something wrong, I am happy to drain it and start over again in order to get the best start possible for my fishless cycle, or add in anything that is recommended by you experts if something is amiss and needs rectifying?

I will receive my Jayes Kleenoff Household Ammonia 9.5% tomorrow and will start cycling then.

Thanks,
Paul

PS: I attached a picture, even though it's not particularly exciting - yet...

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 145
Does not sound too bad actually. This is just the start of your cycle, so nothing major to worry about at this stage.

What I would do is test your tap water, this may account for the readings you're getting.

OK, will test the tap water when I get home, thanks for the re-assurance that it's OK so far.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back