New scape

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nice! I'm liking this one a lot.

In this case the primary focus has become the wood on the left just because of the colour contrast (probably will shift back once the tank settles and water clears) but the curve of it brings us right back to the secondary focus which is now the rocks. Both are in a great spot to give a pleasant composition. It all flows together nicely and there is no "jarring" bits that feel out of place. Even the lines through the rockwork are flowing in the same direction as your focus goes.

Great Job!

Nice! I'm liking this one a lot.

In this case the primary focus has become the wood on the left just because of the colour contrast but the curve of it brings us right back to the secondary focus which is now the rocks. Both are in a great spot to give a pleasant composition. It all flows together nicely and there is no "jarring" bits that feel out of place. Even the lines through the rockwork are flowing in the same direction as your focus goes.

Great Job!
Thank you, its harder than you think, you expect to just be able to put wood and rocks in and look good. Alot more to it than i fordt thought

Thank you, its harder than you think, you expect to just be able to put wood and rocks in and look good. Alot more to it than i fordt thought
lol yeah your not wrong. I'm just setting up a little 60l planted tank. I spent probably about 4 hours trying to come up with some hardscaping that I was happy with and even now its just a "good enough" because I was fed up of faffing with it :) In the end it was actually my 4 year old daughter that was like "Daddy, put this bit here and that one there" and it actually worked pretty well with some minor tweaking. Next time I might just let her do the lot :)

I have dabbled a little in art and photography and things like the golden ratio and general composition actually work really nicely for working out tank scapes. That being said though knowing the "rules" and actually being able to put them into practice with a bunch of rocks and wood are two entirely different things :)

Thanks for the advice, i think i may need to invest in abit more rock 🤣
Not necessarily... You have a good amount of rock you can still spread around. But a few more rocks wouldnt hurt.

The last setup you did looks great! Nice job.

Thanks for the advice, i think i may need to invest in abit more rock 🤣
Don't be hard on yourself. It isn't as easy as it looks. The more you Scape the better you become.
I always prefer real feedback. Instead of people just being nice. This way you get better. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Don't be hard on yourself. It isn't as easy as it looks. The more you Scape you better you become.
I always prefer real feedback. Instead of people just being nice. This way you get better. That's my opinion anyway.
Fully agree, thats why i put it on here,
to me it looked good, but i would rather have true feedback of how it looks to other people and how i could improve it.

Ive brought pieces of hardscape before and no matter how hard I try to blend it in, it doesn't work.
It's an improvement but with the wood where it is, it pulls everything to the center. You could have that large piece of wood with rocks around it or partially hiding the wood making it look like the wood is growing out from the rocks.
Hardscape isn't cheap. I just brought two pieces of wood for £65.

Ive brought pieces of hardscape before and no matter how hard I try to blend it in, it doesn't work.
It's an improvement but with the wood where it is, it pulls everything to the center. You could have that large piece of wood with rocks around it or partially hiding the wood making it look like the wood is growing out from the rocks.
Hardscape isn't cheap. I just brought two pieces of wood for £65.
I think the shape of the big wood dose not help, its pretty hard to do anything with. Amd your not kidding its not cheap, cost me £40 for 5 peices of rock amd was looking at larger spider wood and thats £35 for one piece

Most reactions

Back